Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2007, 04:00 AM

Default 27$ PS - straight on a soft board

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Hero (t1500)
CO (t1480)
Button (t1500)
SB (t3040)
BB (t1500)
UTG (t1480)
UTG+1 (t1500)
MP1 (t1500)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t80</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls t70, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (t180) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t100</font>, Hero calls t100.

Turn: (t380) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t200</font>, Hero calls t200.

River: (t780) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t320</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t640</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t2660</font>, Hero?

There is no way I fold here but what can Villain possibly have? How is my whole line?

Final Pot: t4560
Old 07-13-2007, 04:14 AM

Default Re: 27$ PS - straight on a soft board

Pre-flop looks fine.

Fold flop.

Fold turn.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:04 AM

1.) How did villian double so early? Judging by stacks he won an all in on one of the first couple hands and this only a few hands into it. Check history, see how he played whatever hand he doubled with and check for tendencies that indicate strength or weakness; ie if he lead in with a set last time, now is an easy time to fold, as oppose to if he lead in with nothing and caught, c/r, etc.

2.) Unless you get some nice read from #1, and you wont get THAT good a read often, follllld flop. You should now be getting an idea for the type of player villian is, nothing concrete but hes been active so far- try to decipher what hes playin.

3.) Turn is only a call if youre sure he flopped strong and think he'll pay the straight, and the A is likely good. The only other benefit of this call is that he may just check/call river with a good but not great hand, meaning you can check behind and see his hand (very valuable to know what type of hand he leads into the PF raiser with.)

As played, you cant fold, if he has JK thats too bad. Obv he could have a much wider range since you gave us no reads on him- could be a flopped set, could be an overplayed 2 pair, could be a stone cold bluff thinking that river was a scarecard completing the 4 straight, or could be another J. Call, pray, dont get so invested in this pot next time without a GOOD reason.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Pre-flop looks spew.

Fold flop.

Fold turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 07-13-2007, 05:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Pre-flop looks spew.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im not sure if its a good place for a raise at this buyin, but it certainly isnt spew. He creates a small pot which he will most likely take with a continuation bet, and occasionally hits and figures to have the best A behind a limp/caller and if J hits TPTK figures to be best for sure.

...the only problem comes when lead into and that marginal hand decides to stick around a little longer.

Any lower buyin, i see no problem at all making a pot sweetner with AJ, people love their aces... theyre the highest card in the game you know [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-13-2007, 05:35 AM

You will rarely be called buy a worse hand than AJ at a 27 so it's mostly risking 80 to win as few 30 with 4 player behind. Not a good deal IMO.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You will rarely be called buy a worse hand than AJ at a 27 so it's mostly risking 80 to win as few 30 with 4 player behind. Not a good deal IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well thats the point, they fold usually, or call and fold to c/b most times. And like i said, i dont think its the best play at this buyin, but spew is a bit of an exageration.

...then again, if thats what it takes to get OP to realize he shouldnt be raising without a better reason than that he likes how AJ looks, then spew it is
Old 07-13-2007, 05:48 AM

RexWoo,

Personally, I would fold AJ in his situation. You're going to have to give me a lot more to call it a spew.

I can see arguments for raising / calling / folding. Raising is definitely (if played well on further streets) +cEV.

I fold because losing 80 chips here and there early in a tournament reduces your equity more than the chips you gain here and there increases your equity.

Edit: I should have specified in my OP in this thread I fold AJ in that situation, but I'm not opposed to the reasoning behind people raising.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:41 AM

Preflop is fine.
I don't like floating the flop w/ overs.
The turn we improve and I think calling is now fine.
I'm looking to get it in on the river.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:18 PM

Raising AJ in CO1 is fine although folding is fine too. We are very often called by a worse hand at a 27.
The flop is really bad because we could easily be missing outs and end up hurting ourselves if a J falls.
Turn is meh
Get it in on river especially after the way you played it.