Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2007, 03:03 AM

Default $11 PS: TT early; too much action?

Level I (10/20)
Table '55321545 1' 9-max Seat #8 is the button
Seat 1: gradin123 (1700 in chips)
Seat 2: SonnyCB (1220 in chips)
Seat 3: mathijs_d_B (670 in chips)
Seat 4: GotYourTell (1460 in chips)
Seat 5: rmansieh (1760 in chips)
Seat 6: ColoAvss (1190 in chips)
Seat 7: Wildjean8 (1380 in chips)
Seat 8: Tu0cs (1470 in chips)
Seat 9: XXMADCOWXX (2650 in chips)
XXMADCOWXX: posts small blind 10
gradin123: posts big blind 20
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to GotYourTell [Tc Td]
SonnyCB calls 20, <font color="grey"> 2 folds</font>, GotYourTell calls 20, <font color="grey">1 fold</font>, ColoAvss calls 20, <font color="grey">1 fold</font>, Tu0cs raises 100 to 120, <font color="grey">1 fold</font>, gradin123 calls 100, SonnyCB calls 100, GotYourTell calls 100, ColoAvss folds

<font color="blue">I thought that raise was a bit large, felt like he had AK or QQ+, but with so much action i felt like it was worth a call with relative position (as in the most likely bettor will allow me to see how the limpers respond first)</font>

*** FLOP *** [7h 6s 8d] <font color="red">Pot: t500</font>
gradin123: bets 120
SonnyCB: calls 120 <font color="red">Pot: t740</font>
GotYourTell: raises 120 to 240
Tu0cs: calls 240
gradin123: calls 120
SonnyCB: calls 120

<font color="red">Pot: t1220</font>

What do you guys think of the choice to limp/call preflop? I was mostly set mining, but also felt like i was against mostly broadways or pairs lower than mine, with the exception of the raiser possibly have a big hand.

Flop bet was an obvious weak tester but i was basically taking OB's odds to call away and planning to push any 9, board pair (except maybe 8), or brick turn- unless someone decided to push me out first.

Results to come.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:15 AM

Default Re: $11 PS: TT early; too much action?

Plz convert your hand (see guidelines on front page).

Preflop is ok. Caller in front of you give you a reason to call the rr.

The flop is qhgazipegùiazeigb !!!???!!!! Explain me your thought process when you raise 120 in a pot of 860, plz. Thx.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Flop bet was an obvious weak tester but i was basically taking OB's odds to call away and planning to push any 9, board pair (except maybe 8), or brick turn- unless someone decided to push me out first.

[/ QUOTE ]

As said, figurd there was a good chance i was ahead of the bettor, almost def. ahead of the caller. The raise was to prevent the PR from trying to float, without risking too much should i get pushed out now. Letting me know how you would have played it and why is (potentially) more helpful then asking me to reiterate my thought process though. I posted the hand because it was a strange place and wanted to see how the pros here would playe it [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-13-2007, 03:30 AM

I just call the flop.

You have super odds, probably the best hand (not sure though) and probably 6 outs if you're already beat but to be honnest this looks like a hand where you will lose quite a lot of chips.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:36 AM

Your pre-flop play is fine. The flop is horrible, you don't enough chips to "gather information." Just call the flop and if you get raised go from there. Save those types of raises for tournaments when you actually have enough chips to play poker.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Your pre-flop play is fine. The flop is horrible, you don't enough chips to "gather information." Just call the flop and if you get raised go from there. Save those types of raises for tournaments when you actually have enough chips to play poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see what youre saying, and i thought about cold calling but then i realized i was essentially dumping 120 chips unless i catch a 9. Even a T may be bad news since any one of those limpers could have a 9 for the open ended. So what cards can i play with on the turn? A total brick, or a 9, thats pretty much it near as I can tell.

I can see just folding it and saving the chips since, like you said, you dont start with many and i can surely find a better spot, but its a shame to fold what may be the best hand and if not almost definitely has 6 outs. I can also see pushing and pray they fold, or call with TPTK, or A9 type thing, but my read on PR was big pair or AK, and pushing may run me into the overpair, some SC with 2 pair, a set, or even a made str8. Thats why i raised, give them all a chance to come out with their hands as theyre surely not going to sluff off a card on this board and try to gain position on the pot.

I still have no idea what the best play here is.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:22 AM

Okay, on the turn you may be alright. Someone, with 4 people in the pot very well be slow playing, but the hand isn't over. There are alot of cards that could come that you may still be alright. This is a really tough spot after thinking about it so you need to caught perfect to win this pot. And you don't even know what perfect is. I hope it worked out for you.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:16 AM

bump- i know its poor etiquette to bump your own threads but only 2 people responded and this was a very interesting hand to me [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-13-2007, 06:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Level I (10/20)
Table '55321545 1' 9-max Seat #8 is the button
Seat 1: gradin123 (1700 in chips)
Seat 2: SonnyCB (1220 in chips)
Seat 3: mathijs_d_B (670 in chips)
Seat 4: GotYourTell (1460 in chips)
Seat 5: rmansieh (1760 in chips)
Seat 6: ColoAvss (1190 in chips)
Seat 7: Wildjean8 (1380 in chips)
Seat 8: Tu0cs (1470 in chips)
Seat 9: XXMADCOWXX (2650 in chips)
XXMADCOWXX: posts small blind 10
gradin123: posts big blind 20
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to GotYourTell [Tc Td]
SonnyCB calls 20, <font color="grey"> 2 folds</font>, GotYourTell calls 20, <font color="grey">1 fold</font>, ColoAvss calls 20, <font color="grey">1 fold</font>, Tu0cs raises 100 to 120, <font color="grey">1 fold</font>, gradin123 calls 100, SonnyCB calls 100, GotYourTell calls 100, ColoAvss folds

<font color="blue">I thought that raise was a bit large, felt like he had AK or QQ+, but with so much action i felt like it was worth a call with relative position (as in the most likely bettor will allow me to see how the limpers respond first)</font>

*** FLOP *** [7h 6s 8d] <font color="red">Pot: t500</font>
gradin123: bets 120
SonnyCB: calls 120 <font color="red">Pot: t740</font>
GotYourTell: raises 120 to 240
Tu0cs: calls 240
gradin123: calls 120
SonnyCB: calls 120

<font color="red">Pot: t1220</font>

What do you guys think of the choice to limp/call preflop? I was mostly set mining, but also felt like i was against mostly broadways or pairs lower than mine, with the exception of the raiser possibly have a big hand.

Results to come.

[/ QUOTE ]

Limp PF is fine. Fold to PF raise. Fold flop.

OBs raise was not too large. In fact, I think it was too small. The fact that is was so precise(it was a standard 3-bet with a BB added for each limper) that it would set off alarms for me. You are beaten at this point by a likely Q/Q+.

Your min-bet accomplishes absolutely nothing as all the information you needed was attained PF raiser has a big hand and someone has probably made a set on this flop. You need to fold this spot.

Results are obv you spiked at least one T? NH
Old 07-13-2007, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Limp PF is fine. Fold to PF raise. Fold flop.

OBs raise was not too large. In fact, I think it was too small. The fact that is was so precise(it was a standard 3-bet with a BB added for each limper) that it would set off alarms for me. You are beaten at this point by a likely Q/Q+.

Your min-bet accomplishes absolutely nothing as all the information you needed was attained PF raiser has a big hand and someone has probably made a set on this flop. You need to fold this spot.

Results are obv you spiked at least one T? NH

[/ QUOTE ]

First, your fold preflop and your read contradict themselves. Like i said, i put him on a big pair or AK (most likely suited) as well. This means if i spike a T im getting a stack, with the other 2 callers that pot is going to be so big hes not getting off an overpair and this buyin. And even if he does theres a great chance of stacking one of the two limpers should they catch. I think i have to call PF for set value at least.

Flop I wasnt convinced OB didnt have AK yet, with so many limpers i felt PF bet could easily be AK trying to limit opponents. The point of the raise on flop was to keep him from floating that AK. Soon as he calls,if he does, I shutdown barring a 9 or T turn and give him credit for QQ+.

...and no, no T came on turn, but im leaving results out for sake of discussion.