Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2007, 09:36 PM

Default Re: WSOP player claims he folded AA on the bubble

[ QUOTE ]

I can understand why someone would do this...20K is a pretty big bubble. Folding AA on the bubble is a pretty surefire sign that you're playing in a tournament too big for your bankroll, but that is probably true for a lot people in the Main Event.

What I don't understand is...if you are planning to fold AA preflop, why even look at your cards?

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't want other people to know you are folding any 2.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What I don't understand is...if you are planning to fold AA preflop, why even look at your cards?

[/ QUOTE ]

So when the flop is 9h,4h,4d you can scream "OMG!!! I folded 9d,4c" and impress everybody.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You only get dealt AA every 211 hands. It's important to know whether you had it or not, so you can plan accordingly for the future.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This guy very well could have been an internet satellite player. Over 1000 from Stars this year. He may never play a big tourney again.If small stacked and facing a couple of monster stacks in the blinds ready to check him down he might actually be a dog in the hand. He has to outlast 100 more just to move up 5k. It really depends on stack sizes. Of course the optimal play to move up is to push but when on the bubble 20k looks pretty darn good to some of us family guys.
As in when he goes home he can say to his wife.. howzat honey. 20g's!.......DEFINATELY +ev!

[/ QUOTE ]

someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the way internet satellites work this year is that they give you the 10K and you have to play it on your own good faith??

If that is the case, then and the 20K is that important to him to throw away a chance at 8.25 million dollars, then he should have pocketed the 10K in the first place
Old 07-12-2007, 10:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You only get dealt AA every 211 hands. It's important to know whether you had it or not, so you can plan accordingly for the future.

[/ QUOTE ]

umm........normally the sarcasm is pungent. Although, this thread has me doubting even this post.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The blinds just went through you. You have less than 1 BB - enough chips to just barely cover the antes until you hit BB again. It is THE bubble. You look down at AA. Two people have already limped. You know if you call the SB and BB will call. Even if you quintuple up your stack sill sucks relative to the field and you'll still be crushed by the blinds. For whatever reason you are in this tourney, but $20k means a lot to you. Not the easiest decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, that's a very easy decision. Muck your hand.

Edit: But in reality, that comes up, like, never. The vast majority of players who fold AA near/on the bubble are costing themselves money. Either they don't know that, or don't care.

[/ QUOTE ]

yea this is a terrible example. this is a fold and not even close if the money means a lot. im sure folding is +$EV if it is literally the bubble.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

i am just saying, that , even in the most extreme circumstances it still is the right play. If you need to cash that bad and are already short, then doubling up all but guarantees it...and there is still a good enough chance nobody calls...i would say my if i need to cash that bad then I'm so fortunate I just picked up aces because it increases my chance that much more

[/ QUOTE ]

ehhhh no.
Pretend there are a 5-6 players with like 1-2bbs on the bubble, and you have just very slightly more than them. Also pretend that the pay structure is very steep towards the top, but cashing pays 2x the buy-in, and you really really really really need the money. In that example, you'd be a super-[censored] to call all-in. Pushing is maybe different though.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

i mean obviously i exaggerated to prove a point but the point remains valid...winning the tournament once and bubbling 411 times wins more money then coming in 621st all 412

its beyond stupid no matter what the circumstance

[/ QUOTE ]

Well yeah, but then there's this thing called utility theory...
Old 07-12-2007, 10:32 PM

What happens if you go all in and "accidentally" knock your cards face up while pushing chips in the middle? (of course immediately covering the cards, but not before a glimse was had by all).....
Old 07-12-2007, 10:34 PM

It never says he folded AA preflop.

It's been said, but, you don't know under what circumstances he folded AA.