Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2007, 07:11 AM

Default poker theory and coaching?

Im curious if any of the bigger players here have, or have had, a poker coach to help with their game? Im generally play 1/2NLH and find myself generally better than most players I play. I get the feeling 1/2 is the last limit where "ABC by the book" poker can make a steady profit. Though I have read the books, and played a load, I feel my learning curve is really slowed to a halt. I can hold my own at 2/4 but I dont have an edge like I would like. This is where coaching may come in...
as i say, I have read almost every decent book out there, and feel like I have applied what I have learned to my game. Now I feel like im grinding away, but not learning anything new or really bettering my game. for those who have been here before, what is the best way to keep learning, and would anyone recommend coaching?
Old 07-12-2007, 07:37 AM

Default Re: poker theory and coaching?

How many hands have you played?

There is a limit to how much you can improve your game by reading books.

When I first started playing I read copiously and thoroughly understood the concepts and could work through the examples.

It didn't improve my play much (at the time), though.

It takes time for your brain to program itself with the information you've learned and the results of your experiences.

You can pick up ideas like check raise and slow play almost immediatly but reading opponents and the table takes time.

You really do need to think about every hand as you play it, and go over the histories to see if there are any mistakes you can see, or tricks you could use to play the hand better.

Sorry that doesn't answer the question you asked, but I fear that the time of anyone who's likely to be well qualified is going to be very expensive and I doubt you'd see much benefit.

Of course, other people's experience may contradict the above.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:22 PM

My game has improved a lot in the last year or two simply through better self analysis. Make notes (either mental or physical) about your big pots, and your non ABC plays. If you are finding that you are losing more big pots than you feel like you should, or you can find non ABC plays that seem to be losing more than winning, than you've found the
holes in your game.

Also remember that while poker is not a sport, it helps to approach it as one. In order for me become a good lacrosse player, I had to practice like hell, and give and receive honest analysis on MY game. It took a long time, and had a lot of highs and lows, but was paid off when I got my scholarship offer in the mail. See the parallel? The best thing to do is just play and learn something from every hand through self-analysis, and analysis from others if it is available.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:26 PM

I agree with the comments. I read all these books when I first started playing. I ground out small consistent wins and I knew it was only cuz I had read books and wasn't a total moron. Thus...I kept reading more books!
This went on for a long time. Then recently, after quitting my job, I decided to play more poker. I have gotten better in the last couple months than a whole year of reading all these books.
So just get out there and play....its the only way to get better. (Of course keeping in mind your poker knowledge, which it seems like you are fine and will do well.)
Old 07-12-2007, 11:47 PM

if you dont have it already spend the $250 and buy 6 months of cardrunners. Its a cheaper alternative to coaching and it helps imensely(how do you spell that?)