Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2007, 02:35 PM

Default How to play against check callers

A situation that I find that I often lose money is when I get check called or just called on every street.

For instance, in a .10/.25 game I have KJ and the flop is J-5-3. Assuming I raised to .75 preflop from late position and the BB called. Now I might bet 1.20 (just under the pot) if he checks. Then he calls and the turn is a Q. (All rainbow so far). I bet about 2.75 into a pot of 3.90. He calls.

At this point I have no idea where I stand. Now if I bet weak, and he raises, I'll probably think I'm beat. If I check and he best around 1/2 to 2/3 the pot, I again, don't know where I stand. I feel like folding AND calling might be losing plays.

I run into these kinds of players all the time at this level. Any advice on how to make better decisions with a higher +EV?
Old 07-12-2007, 02:50 PM

Default Re: How to play against check callers

bet for value and dont bluff.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:04 PM

Have to hand read.

How liberally does he defend his blind and can you narrow his hand range based on that? What type of hands do you think he check calls that flop with? That turn? Will he bluff or bet very thin at the river?
Old 07-12-2007, 04:01 PM

BB called pf and flop, this could mean JT-AJ depending on the type of player. J9s, J8s are also possibilities. 64, A2s could be. 75s, 65s, etc. after the turn, only QJ has outdrawn you and AJ still has you beat. but there's tons more you beat.

i bet again and QJ becomes the most likely hand if he raises.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:44 PM

Somewhat similar situation: how would you handle this if you were first to act, and you bet, and get called. I don't like getting called on the flop and turn. I feel like I'm beat and someone is slowplaying. I usually don't know what to do on the river.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Somewhat similar situation: how would you handle this if you were first to act, and you bet, and get called. I don't like getting called on the flop and turn. I feel like I'm beat and someone is slowplaying. I usually don't know what to do on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

calls aren't always slow plays especially at that level. many players will call very, very light...especially in a situation like you set up of late position raise vs blind. they have any piece, any draw, or anything that looks like it could become a piece or a draw and they call. obviously depends on the player and even the ones that do call very light catch hands sometimes but long term you're doing ok. don't be afraid to pay off a hand every once in a while if you're crushing his range. it's pretty tough to never show down a loser and still play winning poker.

try to think through the hands in a similar way to the post above, figure out where you're at, and make good plays against his range.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:08 PM

Yeah, I think it really does depend on your read of the situation and the player thats doing that. Try to think about what kinds of cards he's playing and how he plays those cards. After a while you should get a sense of how they play. Calling station? Bet for value. Tight rock? Take a stab and bail. Maniac? Check or small bet for value and building the pot, then you can try a check or weak bet and let him bluff at the pot.

If you really have no read, I think you might want to change the amount of your bets. I know a lot of people say make similar raises and bet 3/4 to pot size bets. That's fine if you have a read, but if you're confused, these bet sizes only add to your confusion while getting you more committed to the pot. Try mixing up some stronger and weaker bets. A strong bet at least will give you more information (But not against very tricky players) and so you get a better sense of where you are at. A weaker bet will help you control the pot and if you get reraised, you have to make a read but if you decide to fold, you won't feel as bad since you didn't take a big loss.

But mainly, work on your hand reading skills. You will lose a lot of money in the long run if you never really know where you're at by the river. You will lose a lot on missing value bets and even worse folding the best hand cuz you showed too much weakness on the river.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:32 PM

It also depends on how many possible draws there are on the board. If it is dry then you may want to slow down on the turn. If the board is dry but has low cards then your opponent may have overcards.

Eg. You have QT, board is QJ5 rainbow. Villain will often check/call to the river with AK here.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How to play against check callers

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
.10/.25

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
bet for value and dont bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

It really is about that simple at those limits. If a check/caller starts raising or re-raising, tend to fold.

Also, take some time to think about your bet sizing. They typically won't notice the difference when you bet 60% or 90% of the pot.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:33 AM

No need to even read the post. The answer is bet when you have something, don't bet when you don't. Rinse and repeat. Tend to bet bigger against calling stations, and give credit when they raise.