Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2007, 07:32 PM

Default Re: harry potter: the order of the phoenix

I really enjoyed this movie, it did jump around a lot but I think they did a decent job of keeping to the theme of the book. This is definitely one of those book-to-movie films where you need to read the book before seeing the movie or you probably won't be able to follow along.

They definitely could have made the final ministry scene longer though. The biggest disappointment of the entire movie was not seeing those statues come to life. The Umbridge and Luna characters were extremely well done. Luna's voice was exactly how I had imagined it.

Also, Richard Harris was wayyyy better than the current guy who plays DD. This new guy is too uptight/hard-edge and totally unlike DD in the books. Richard Harris played the kind, old and wise grandfather-like figure to the letter, which is how DD should be.

As a side note- I am eagerly awaiting the release of the final book. I already have it preordered and having it delivered to my house.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Having said that, my favorite scenes in the entire book series are in OOTP. When the Ministry comes into Dumbledore's office to arrest him, and when the Order and Deatheaters (then Dumbledore and Voldemort) rumble in the Ministry, I was as captivated as I have ever been by fiction. I was fairly disappointed by the movie's portrayal of both these scenes.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think this has a lot to do with Michael Gambon and his bad portrayal of Dumbledore. Richard Harris was way better.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really disliked how Gambon portrayed Dumbledore as weak and more emotional than the books do. In the book, when Dumbledore and Voldemorte battle, I liked how calm Dumbledore was until Harry was possessed. It bothered me that the movie made him appear less confident.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:45 PM

you guys make me sick
Old 07-14-2007, 09:20 PM

Saw it tonight with the wife. Meh. Wifey actually fell asleep.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Comments should be separated by those who have read the books and those who haven't.

[/ QUOTE ]

why? What does one have to do with the other? The movies aren't made as companions to the books, they are meant as a separate entertainment. Will reading the books first heighten your enjoyment (or disappointment) of the movies? Maybe. Maybe not.

Comparing "the book to the movie" is a fruitless and witless exercise.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:05 PM

i thought the movie was pretty lame.

overall dialogue was childish and rather than alluding to things, they just blatantly said it.

unfortunately, it seems that it's impossible to cram a 600+ page book into a 2.5 hour movie, so they end up having to skip around much of what makes the book so good for the sake of the general plot-story.

i'm definitely a big fan of the books though. very well-written and great story-line.
Old 07-15-2007, 02:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
all the movies sucked. each scene was like 30 seconds long and they tried to incorporate every worthless plotline in the books.

[/ QUOTE ]
Did you see Goblet of Fire? They chopped pretty much everything.

I really wish they had done HP as some hugely funded TV series or something. Develop the plotlines a bit better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Harry Potter would have definitely worked better as a TV series. Imagine The Wire as a movie. Some things just don't work.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Harry Potter would have definitely worked better as a TV series. Imagine The Wire as a movie. Some things just don't work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, that was the first thing I thought when I saw this movie. It just jumped all over the place, and (probably because I didn't read the books) really hard for me to follow (although I had a very annoying crowd and came in 5 minutes late). The reason this would work as a TV series so well is also because the setting is so interesting. The whole hogwarts/wizards/school thing is something that appeals to a lot of people, which makes it interesting even if the story progresses slow.

I don't see how these are 'childish' movies though, or even meant for kids. PoA and OotP were both very scary at times (for kids obv).

One thing that stood out for me were the special effects, I thought they were done very well. Oh and it was way too short, it was barely over 90 minutes if I remember correctly.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
all the movies sucked. each scene was like 30 seconds long and they tried to incorporate every worthless plotline in the books.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't stand the ignorance ppl show when talking about movies. What you said above is 100% wrong not even close. Just a bunch of lies.

They have cut SOOOOOOOOOOOO much stuff out of the books.... So many plots lines out of the book it's not even funny. These movies would be waaaayy better if they added some of the plot lines.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:32 AM

fell asleep repeatedly during this piece. dont remember the last time that has happened, but that probably is a result of avoiding bad movies in theaters.