Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2007, 04:54 PM

Default 2007 2nd half AL West Thread

Okay guys, I know there are a couple of Seattle guys here, and definitely some Oakland fans. The Angels fans are also lurking somewhere in the mix. I think we can sustain a thread much better about each of our teams if we also discuss the other teams at the same time. Those damn Central people can do it....so can we!!

So, as of the ASB, the Angels are up 2.5 on SEA and 9.0 on OAK. Over on hardball times, the Angels are 4 games over there projected wins, Seattle 5 games over, and Oakland 3 games under. So the race is pretty close right now, but it could possibly be very close down to the end.

So far Danny Haren is my hero out of the West, the guy just rules. Vlad and Ichiro are also having very good years. Some questions could be will Reggie Willits continue to play at such a high offensive level, or will the rookie tire in the second half? Will Jeff Weaver stay on the upswing of his last 4 starts? Will Oakland, I don't know, one of the real OAK fans can put in a discussion point here.

Anyway, my non biased 1st half awards:

CY - Haren
MVP - Vlad or Ichiro
RoY - Willits

There is no west coast bias here, so don't ask. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-09-2007, 05:29 PM

Default Re: 2007 2nd half AL West Thread

I have a good feeling about my Halos... Rivera is due back in a few weeks to add to an already potent lineup. Willits has been unbelievable so far, but I don't see him regressing TOO much. His .312 BA is due to go down, but he walks a fair amount, so as long as he keeps stealing bases and has an OBP of .375 or so I'll be more than happy with his performance. He's exactly the type of player I wanted the Angels to go out and get; a speedy on-base guy who can set the table for Vladdy. I guess it turned out the Angels had him all along.

Pitching is ok; I'm not sure what the hell is going on with Santana, but Lackey/Escobar is as good a 1-2 punch as you'll find on any team, and the bullpen is rock-solid. I'm pretty optimistic.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:31 PM

The AL MVP is clearly Jack Cust. He might win the NL award as well.

If the A's want to make a run they will need to do the following:

- Get Loaiza and Street back from the DL
- Remove Kendall and Crosby from the everyday line-up. These two players suck so badly. Between the Bradley DFA and keeping Kendall and Crosby in the line-up, I'm really disappointed with Billy Beane this season.
- get more production from Chavez.

To be honest I think the A's are sellers in the trade market this year. Prospects and young players are so over valued in the trade market I think Beane will make a good deal for one or two veteran players. The A's are close to being a world series contender when the bullpen is healthy, it's just not gonna happen this year.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:15 PM

Boris,

The A's pen injuries are just atrocious. Being at .500 with the offense and the DL trips is pretty decent I would say for the A's. Plus, they are 9 games out of the lead, not insurmountable. How is Rich Harden doing out of the pen?

Kendall, well yeah. Jack Cust shoulda gone to the home run derby, I read his agent was trying to get him invited. I would have definitely Tivo'd it if I knew Jack Cust was gonna be there.

And I can't edit my first post, but yes I should have put JC as the MVP, I thank Boris for pointing out that glaring omission on my part.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:18 PM

Harden is visiting the good doctor Yocum today or tomorrow. Possibly out for the season. Duchscherer is also out for the season.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:20 PM

Adam Jones in AAA Tacoma
+
Vidro at DH
+
Ibanez in LF
=

LIFETILT
Old 07-12-2007, 12:53 PM

I guess Buster Olny is spreading rumors that Billy Beane is shopping Mike Piazza, Shannon Stewart and Dan Johnson. I find this totally believable and I commend him for his effort. I guess Olny goes to say that multiple teams are interested in this awesome trio of players and that Beane will get major value. I find this part more difficult to believe. This is all third hand info.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
- Remove Kendall from the roster

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

Seriously, why is this guy still starting? Give Suzuki a shot, he can't do much worse offensively. For those who think he's too young & Kendall has some sort of "game call"-fu, he's the same age Ramon Hernandez was back in 99 & he was good enough to "game call" the team into contention despite being on the DL for a month.

Edit: And while it's no way to judge being a full time starter, Suzuki has the same number of HR and 1/5 the RBI and R but has less than 1/10 the plate appearances Kendall does.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

Seriously, why is this guy still starting? Give Suzuki a shot, he can't do much worse offensively. For those who think he's too young & Kendall has some sort of "game call"-fu, he's the same age Ramon Hernandez was back in 99 & he was good enough to "game call" the team into contention despite being on the DL for a month.

[/ QUOTE ]

100% agree.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

Edit: And while it's no way to judge being a full time starter, Suzuki has the same number of HR and 1/5 the RBI and R but has less than 1/10 the plate appearances Kendall does.

[/ QUOTE ]

he makes too much $$. (13 mil) though, this is the final year of his contract. i don't expect he will be back in the green & gold next year.