Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2007, 07:03 PM

Default Re: Magic Trick Expose

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
TYTY. What about Chris Angel?

[/ QUOTE ]

wires, same kind copperfield used

[/ QUOTE ]wrong, unless it was a different levitating trick.

[/ QUOTE ]

angel has used multiple methods of levitation, but the larger scale ones are with wires.

edit: lol, thanks runkmud. somebody took the time to illustrate it.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:54 PM

Penn and Teller are the best at revealing. They reveal a few of the classics and then throw you a curve at the end with a new twist.
I've been a huge fan of theirs for a long. Went to a live show in Portland ME and all three of my smartasssed teenagers got picked from the audience to be on stage for various bits and were properly humbled....good stuff.
Penn remains my favorite celebrity I've taken flying maybe 20 years ago in his hometown in Mass. The guy has a wonderfully strange sense of humor.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Five minutes later, the thrill was gone. The wonder was gone. And I almost wished that I still didn't know how the trick was done.

[/ QUOTE ]
This seems to be the problem for most people who really want to know how a trick is done. A great trick that you loved suddenly becomes a cheap novelty that can never become what it once was. I always want to know how a trick is done and then kick myself in the ass for ever finding out, as the trick is now spoiled forever.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:14 PM

Yup. It's human nature to be curious, but it's that exact curiosity that makes it fun.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This seems to be the problem for most people who really want to know how a trick is done. A great trick that you loved suddenly becomes a cheap novelty that can never become what it once was. I always want to know how a trick is done and then kick myself in the ass for ever finding out, as the trick is now spoiled forever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not for me. Knowing how it's done gives me a better appreciation for the trick. How elegant is the secret? Were you able to fool me with a a simple mechanism, or does it require fake scenery, trap doors, secret accomplices AND mirrors to do it? Were you able to improve upon a previous incarnation of the same (or a similar) trick?

Not knowing how it's done actually gets me bored of it after a while. If you're not going to show me how you did it, just stop bother showing me.

jb
Old 07-12-2007, 05:33 PM

I agree that you should not keep watching tricks if you don't like magic, especially the same ones over and over again. Good point!
Old 07-12-2007, 11:21 PM

I can't get into TV magic, or stage magic really. Every time I see it, it's either, 'meh, cameras' or 'meh, wires' or whatever. But good sleight of hand right in front of my face is awesome, because then it's like, 'doodz got skillz!'
Old 07-13-2007, 01:23 PM

"But good sleight of hand right in front of my face is awesome, because then it's like, 'doodz got skillz!' "

agreed...never big into grand illusions or stage magic...but dudes like paul gertner or michael ammar that do the close up in your face sleight of hand stuff are just ridiculous...even if i know some of the things they do like palming, passing, cutting etc, the fact that they are doing it all 5 inches from me w/o letting anyone know if nuts...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_0cGxqYZp6M - paul gertner doing steel cups and balls...
Old 07-13-2007, 01:35 PM

Also agreed. Good sleight of hand is incredible. A lot of people who don't think they like magic just need to see some weird sh*t happening up close to become true converts. Coin magic seems to me especially good for that, because the "equipment" is so normal and everyday.

Big stage magic I don't care for much.

I used to be very into this as a kid, practiced for years even, and think the casualness of coin magic is ideal for this kind of thing. Easy to carry, and everyone can relate to it.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:47 PM

Okay, while we're on the subject - can anyone explain this one to me?

America's Got Talent - Kevin James magic