Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2007, 10:16 AM

Default Re: Ask a music scene micro celebrity

What was up with the booing Shellac received at the Stooges show? Aside from T&G emailing me about your opening slot (and then not posting it on your tour page) there was next to zero notice given about Shellac playing that show. Was that on purpose?

I hate to use a broad brush but that crowd had a serious "goon" element which is part of why most people didn't know who the hell you guys were.

Something tells me the band took some pleasure in the confrontational aspect.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What was up with the booing Shellac received at the Stooges show? Aside from T&G emailing me about your opening slot (and then not posting it on your tour page) there was next to zero notice given about Shellac playing that show. Was that on purpose?

I hate to use a broad brush but that crowd had a serious "goon" element which is part of why most people didn't know who the hell you guys were.

Something tells me the band took some pleasure in the confrontational aspect.

[/ QUOTE ]
I was at that show. One of the most fun shows I've ever witnessed. Spit and pumpkin flying everywhere, from what I can recall.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:06 PM

This begs the question: WHY are you playing music? If you're doing it cause you think it should or will lead to fame/sex/riches then I think you should buy a lottery ticket, or get an MBA, and you'll have a better chance of achieving those ends.

However, if you're playing music cause you enjoy playing it, and have some thing (more or less) to say musically then getting beer is perfectly acceptable recompense. The amount or type of compensation you receive should have no bearing on your ability to adhere to personal ethical and aesthetic principles.

Making the music is the end in itself, not a means to some other reward.

What's more, many artists and musicians actually hold down "real" jobs in order support their creative habit. Rather than viewing this as a failure (if you don't get paid, it ain't worth doing) one might read this a sign of dedication to the creative work for its own sake.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:29 PM

Two questions:

You play a Travis Bean and have recommended the Electrical Guitar line of instruments -- never having played either, what are the benefits (sonic and otherwise) of an aluminum neck guitar?

[ QUOTE ]
most importantly, it is bastard hard to get a major label to pay its bills

[/ QUOTE ]
To what do you attribute this? Bureaucracy/incompetence or do they hope you'll give up and they'll get to keep the money?
Old 07-12-2007, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Where does Powerage rank, as far as your favorite AC/DC records go?

[/ QUOTE ]
1/2 Back in Black (best songs, best ass-kickingness)
1/2 Highway to Hell (best singing)
3 Powerage

[/ QUOTE ]
Over the years Powerage has edged out Highway to Hell, on my list. Back in Black...I dunno. I can really get behind some of the songs on there, but Brian Johnson's voice just grates on my nerves and stands in the way of the songcraft, in my opinion.

More questions:
When's the next Shellac and Fugazi weekend at The Congress? It's a shame Fugazi hasn't really played any music together for the past few years.

What are your vices, beyond poker?

Have you heard much Qui? I've only heard a couple songs, plus some YouTube clips. Pretty interesting, thus far.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:59 PM

my god, there are some serious troglodytes on this board.
this F.F. Woodycooks fellow seems to have his head buried so far up his poop chute he can't tell up from down.
thank you, steve, for spelling it out for him. why is it so hard to believe that some people won't do anything for money?
also, seriously, dish about 18th Dye.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:05 PM

Here's what will get nowhere with me:

1) Music fan dorks signing up with new accounts and disparaging regular participants in this forum. They are here and contributing on a regular basis, and you are a guest. If a guest is an ass, he will either be ignored or insulted.

2) Asking me here (or in private messages) to go to your web page or Myspace page and listen to your music. I have made it clear that I do not care what kind of music you (any of you) make. If it interests me, I will discover it on my own, and if it doesn't, it would not prevent me from working on such a record if asked to. If I happen to like your band's music, there isn't anything I can do to help further your career anyway, so my liking it or not is of no importance.

3) Asking questions that are simple to ask but impossibly complex to answer completely, e.g. "How do I make my recordings sound good," "What should I do to improve my home studio," "What do you think of [x] kind of music," "Tell me some good stories."

That is all.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:32 PM

u read sound on sound or any of those other mags?
Old 07-12-2007, 03:41 PM

Books may seem like antiques in the age of the iphone but would you ever consider writing a book containing some of your knowledge regarding recording techniques?

Thank you,

Brian Wallace
Old 07-12-2007, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This begs the question: WHY are you playing music? If you're doing it cause you think it should or will lead to fame/sex/riches then I think you should buy a lottery ticket, or get an MBA, and you'll have a better chance of achieving those ends.

However, if you're playing music cause you enjoy playing it, and have some thing (more or less) to say musically then getting beer is perfectly acceptable recompense. The amount or type of compensation you receive should have no bearing on your ability to adhere to personal ethical and aesthetic principles.

Making the music is the end in itself, not a means to some other reward.

What's more, many artists and musicians actually hold down "real" jobs in order support their creative habit. Rather than viewing this as a failure (if you don't get paid, it ain't worth doing) one might read this a sign of dedication to the creative work for its own sake.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi, I was more just making an argument to understand why bands like SP are reviled as 'sellouts' just because they were good enough and good at the game, and didn't mind making a nice living. I am totally fine and understand just doin it for fun and enjoyment, I don't think those are the people that take it seriously enough to produce something fantastic that reaches a ton of people. Is it wrong to seek commercial success if you think you're good enough and palatable enough for broad consumption?