Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2007, 09:56 AM

Default Post Your 3-bet Calling Ranges in Position

Okay... so, everyone including myself is 3-betting like crazy these days at 100NL... I am just starting to really think about what an acceptable hand to call a 3 bet with is on the button. I'm talking about against someone with a really wide 3-betting range (stats around 26 / 23) in the blinds. Let's say the person in the blinds is raising your $3.50 raises to $13 and your $4 raise to $14...

So, what is your calling range?

Also, how wide do you make your 4-betting range?

How wide does your calling range get if you're 200BB deep?

Finally... What does everyone think the optimal amount to 3-bet a lone raiser is in the blinds at 100NL?

Your comments are appreciated.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:19 AM

Default Re: Post Your 3-bet Calling Ranges in Position

Sorry to not be able to give a more detailed answer, but the answer is player and table dependant for every situation.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:24 AM

That is true and I do not disagree.... But I gave a general, theoeretical situation in which the villain was 26 / 23 and 3-betting a ton... There are no perfect answers and yes it is dependant upon a billion factors... I am just interested in generalized responses with a disclaimer that all situations are player / situation dependant...

So if we start at the top. You obviously call or raise w/ AA.

You obviously fold w/ 27o.

At one point do the lines start to get fuzzy. I'm just looking for some general discussion on what people think.

So maybe you would say if someone was 3-betting 50%+ of my button raises, I'd probably call with KJs+, AQo+ etc.. Describe what you might do under certain conditions. Yes it's a pain... And it takes time. But that's kind of the whole point.. I'm interested in what people have to say.

Some might think, call with any pocket pair. Some may think otherwise.

I remember when I first got my feet wet, 3 betting with hands other than AK, QQ, KK & AA. I just felt really lost and horrified that I would be reraising w/ 88. I just felt lost at sea with it. Now I'm comfortable 3-betting a massive range... But I'm lost at sea at calling other people's 3-bets.

So.... help.

Cheers.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So maybe you would say if someone was 3-betting 50%+ of my button raises

[/ QUOTE ]

that's a hell of alot and makes the problem pretty easy
Old 07-12-2007, 10:36 AM

in the example, if someone is three betting me a ton I will just tighten up my range as i'm doubting they will notice my adjustments until after i've taken advantage

calling range = 77+ AJs+

4 betting range = I tend to just call the 3 bet with AA/KK/QQ more and hope to get it all in on the flop. I think he will respect a 4 bet (his stats suggest he is decent) more and the call of the 3 bet may just look like a "being fed up with being 3 bet all the time" play

calling range if 200bb's = 22+ ATs+ and all suited connectors above probably 78s
Old 07-12-2007, 11:44 AM

I like the theoretical discussion you've broached, but I think someone "3-betting 50% of your button raises" is too high to invoke a discussion of much depth. With someone 3-betting 50% of their hands against your button raise, this means they're 3betting something like:

22+, any ace, any two cards 7 or higher, K6-K4, K3s-K2s (see Sklansky's NLHE calling preflop all-in raises chapter)

At this point I would start 4betting with a slightly tighter range than this, until he catches on: maybe lose the bad kings and play any two cards 8 or higher. As he catches on and inevitably tightens up (or goes broke), you of course tighten up as well.

For someone that's 3-betting more tightly, say 15 to 25%: when I choose to play, I'm still 4-betting 80% of the time, and only calling 20%. Realize, your 4bet (per Aba's CR vid's) does not need to be as proportionally bigger as the 2bet and 3bet were. You can often just double (or slightly more) his 3bet and achieve the same purpose (either get him to fold or maintain the initiative going into the Flop). And this still gives you room to fold when stacks are deeper.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:51 AM

Yid: you've got it backwards. If someone's 3betting a ton, you don't want to tighten, you want to loosen. And making a habit of smooth calling with AA-QQ is a bad idea. You're missing a lot of value.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yid: you've got it backwards. If someone's 3betting a ton, you don't want to tighten, you want to loosen. And making a habit of smooth calling with AA-QQ is a bad idea. You're missing a lot of value.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, smooth calling QQ+ is not a good idea at these stacks. I find people at 100NL hate to fold preflop and therefore it is easier to get your money in ahead preflop than on the flop.

For example, he 3 bets with QQ, you smooth call with KK, scary flop hits and kills your action. Not smooth calling preflop and you stack him. I think this is more the norm than the flop trap.

What type of hand will get it in on the flop against us but not preflop? Are you simply trying to induce a bluff on the flop? I find bluffs to be rare in 3bet pots post flop.

Two answer the OP question. I tend to fold or 4bet AT-AQ, 4bet AK, JJ-AA. Flat call with any pair, Fold most everything else. Of couse this is not 100% set in stone base on yada yada yada I will mess around with a wider range.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:42 PM

wow even with all the info given in the example this question seems really hard to answer. Just because there are factors you are leaving out, like postflop play, the dudes image (if he's 3betting 50%+ I'm obviously gunna tighten up and get a bit crazy when I continue with a hand), etc etc.

God a little while ago at 100NL I got AI preflop with my 77 vs TAGs 55. [censored] ridiculous.