Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2007, 01:08 AM

Default TT prelop, questionable reraise to isolate shorty all-in

I was going to raise with my pocket pair but I figured I'd probably get called a couple places and wouldn't be able to continue unless I flopped a set. With that in mind I decided to just limp and keep it cheap if I missed. However once the shorty goes all-in and gets two callers I started thinking maybe I should push to play heads up with a lot of dead money in the pot.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP1 (t1730)
Hero (t2310)
CO (t205)
Button (t1910)
SB (t1190)
BB (t1190)
UTG (t3240)
UTG+1 (t1725)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls t50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls t50, Hero calls t50, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to t205</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG calls t155, MP1 calls t155, HERO ???
Old 07-12-2007, 01:22 AM

Default Re: TT prelop, questionable reraise to isolate shorty all-in

Buy-in?

How much FE do you think you have? Are these guys just calling raises with any hand they happened to want to play, or are they capable of folding?

You pretty much give away your hand by pushing here - it doesn't look like anything except a medium PP. Might depend if one of them wants to flip. You could get lucky and get a call from a 99 thinking that you're weaker than you are.

Your stack size and the implied odds aren't terrible for just calling to hit a set or overpair. I think a higher PP would already have isolated.

So, I guess I'm saying I don't think it makes a whole lot of difference unless you have reads one way or the other, especially reads on your FE - fairly high (push) or fairly low (call).
Old 07-12-2007, 01:37 AM

sorry this is a $5 SnG normal speed on Pokerstars.

Noone involved has done anything stupid yet at the table.

I also think anyone with a higher pair would have reraised already so I'm thinking the only danger is someone having a hand like KQ or KJ and calling hoping for a race like you said.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:47 AM

Super easy shove especially in a 5. Those calling ranges of UTG &amp; MP1 are so very wide.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:34 AM

As for me, i completely agree with FloridaGator. CO push range is very wide because of his shortstack. And UTG and MP1 calling ranges r also wide cause they know it about CO.
So, two variants:
1. u push, and UTG &amp; MP1 folds: u bet 115 in the 665 pot. And
u have powerfull hand for HA: 50/50 against QJ+ and really dominated only by JJ+.
2. u push and UTG or MP1 folds, and the other calls. Now u have mainpot = 780 and u have sidepot = at least 3000. And still powerfull hand. Just win HA-showdown against bigstack-caller.
So its an easy push. At my level(5.5 in iPoker) i c this very often: when pockets give a chance to someone increase pot, then any others put money in, and after that push with big FE or coinflip if call.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:39 AM

as others have stated the ranges are sufficiently wide enough to make this a reasonably easy shove. stick em in.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:10 AM

I don't think you have much of anything in the way of implied odds, because nobody's shown any real strength pf. Players here will call shoves from a shorty a lot more loosely than they'd call a regular 4xBB raise, and also you'll be betting into an empty side pot if you hit your set. So I think your implied odds = the expressed odds, this one will get checked down or be a bet/fold/fold showdown with shorty almost every time after the flop.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:09 AM

Thanks for the input everyone. In the end I decided to shove and the other two players folded. The shorty actually had QQ oops. but a flop of T 7 7 gave me the pot.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:40 AM

good move
nice flop