Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2007, 07:26 PM

Default Stud HL MTT FT theory questions

Today I was at the final table of a Stud HL MTT and I had one heck of a hard time determining both what starting hands I should play and attempting to put my opponents on a range of possible hands. There is minimal written material (the new FT book is almost no help) on this topic so I am turning to everyone here for some help.

My experience in MTTs and SNGs is PLO and no limit holdem with no experience in limt MTTs.

My basic strategy was to play three premium low cards, mid to large pairs and try to steal when possible. I almost always entered a pot for a raise.

As the table shrank down I started to ignore suitedness as the bet size became so large I didn't want to get into a life or death situation hoping to hit a flush draw. As you can imagine I tightened up considerably and watched as the other players traded chips back and forth with someone occasionaly getting knocked out. The quality of the starting hands that my opponents showed down was strange to say the least.

There is not an individual hand that I am looking for help with, but if anyone has some advise for playing at the end of a Stud HL MTT I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I would have gone to one of the MTT forums but those guys don't think any game exists other than no limit holdem.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:00 AM

Default Re: Stud HL MTT FT theory questions

Russ Georgiev wrote some interesting stuff on RGP about shorthanded stud/8 quite a while back. High hands do go up in value, so a pair of Tens is no longer an insta-muck. If you're only playing premium low draws, you're probably playing too tight.

You have read Ray Zee's book, right?
Old 07-12-2007, 01:32 AM

Default Re: Stud HL MTT FT theory questions

High-only hands go up in value toward the end of a tournament. You are more likely to contest pots heads-up (better situation for high hands) and you are more likely to knock somebody out with a high hand. Since stacks are short, you don't suffer the reverse odds with a high starter quite so badly.

Low pair + low kicker goes up in value for similar reasons.

You need to pay attention to the gap concept. You don't want to be the third person into the pot without a really good hand. But, he antes are usually larger than a typical cash game, so you should be willing to enter the pot a little more loosely (for a raise) and be aware that other players may also be entering more loosely.

$EV vs ChipEV considerations are also important. Situations where you might reraise on 3rd or jam 4th might only warrant a call because you don't want to commit yourself to the pot. Saving a bet is more important than winning an extra bet. Some players are eager to get all-in on 3rd or 4th; this is not always correct.