Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2007, 09:58 PM

Default Re: Gambling in the Bible?

jacob was SHADY
Old 07-05-2007, 10:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
jacob was SHADY

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. This was a con job, not a fair and square gambling game. The other guy didn’t stand a chance. He didn’t have an all knowing God on his side explaining that animals copulating in front of a striped fence will produce speckled offspring.

Laban was probably worshiping a weaker God that doesn’t reward theft and deceit.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
jacob was SHADY

[/ QUOTE ]

jacob tricked his dad into giving him the inheritance iirc, although god hated his older brother esau so i guess that made it ok.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
jacob was SHADY

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. This was a con job, not a fair and square gambling game. The other guy didn’t stand a chance. He didn’t have an all knowing God on his side explaining that animals copulating in front of a striped fence will produce speckled offspring.

Laban was probably worshiping a weaker God that doesn’t reward theft and deceit.

[/ QUOTE ]

So are you saying Poker is a con job? If I get information how to play from a superior source (good poker book) and play against someone who in the long run doesn't stand a chance to win because they lack the knowledge to compete.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So are you saying Poker is a con job? If I get information how to play from a superior source (good poker book) and play against someone who in the long run doesn't stand a chance to win because they lack the knowledge to compete.

Post Extras

[/ QUOTE ]

Gambling is placing a wager on an uncertain event. I don’t think your Jacob story qualifies. As to poker, the information you spoke of is available to all. Being a good poker player takes practice, patience and scholarship, most people can acquire these virtues.

If on the other hand, you are cheating your opponent at poker, then it is a con job.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
jacob was SHADY

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, poker is a con job that is only tangentially related to gambling. Not all con jobs are gambling, not all gambling is a conjob, poker overlaps the two.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Post Extras

[/ QUOTE ]

Gambling is placing a wager on an uncertain event.

[/ QUOTE ]

So is it wrong to bet the river when I hold the stone cold nuts? Since, there is no uncertainty I know i have the best hand and will win. Thus, betting that situtuation is just a con-job.

Secondly, not all the sheep turned out striped or spotting there was some uncertiantity.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Post Extras

[/ QUOTE ]

Gambling is placing a wager on an uncertain event.

[/ QUOTE ]

So is it wrong to bet the river when I hold the stone cold nuts? Since, there is no uncertainty I know i have the best hand and will win. Thus, betting that situtuation is just a con-job.

Secondly, not all the sheep turned out striped or spotting there was some uncertiantity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats like asking if its ok to collect on your bet after you win, since the contest is no longer in doubt. The gamble has already happened, you've won, now collect.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:28 AM

OP forgot to mention whether Jacob was getting rakeback; clearly significant.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OP forgot to mention whether Jacob was getting rakeback; clearly significant.

[/ QUOTE ]

no he was not getting rakeback, until he tricked his brother into giving him his, at which point he also tricked the rakeback affiliate into thinking he(jacob) was his brother(esau), at which point he was successful in gettting rakeback.