Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2006, 01:05 AM

Default Re: Do you tip when you pick up takeout?

Depends on where you are picking it up at. I used to bartend at a very decent restaurant. A togo order was usually handled by the barstaff. I would have to leave a busy bar and get the salads, package the dressings, coordinate the entire order to make sure everything was all set.

For this, I leave my tipping customers without their drinks being tended to so I can hand these meals off to some schmuck that orders two steak dinners during our peak dinner time. Of course he's not tipping, he's a schmuck.

So it all depends. Are you a schmuck?
Old 03-04-2006, 02:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Depends on where you are picking it up at. I used to bartend at a very decent restaurant. A togo order was usually handled by the barstaff. I would have to leave a busy bar and get the salads, package the dressings, coordinate the entire order to make sure everything was all set.

For this, I leave my tipping customers without their drinks being tended to so I can hand these meals off to some schmuck that orders two steak dinners during our peak dinner time. Of course he's not tipping, he's a schmuck.

So it all depends. Are you a schmuck?

[/ QUOTE ]

People tip based on the value the server adds to eating there - not based on the hardship caused on employees for using their restaurant.
Old 03-04-2006, 02:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
nope, and i'm a good tipper.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-04-2006, 03:17 AM

No.
Old 03-04-2006, 03:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't and often get pissed off looks from the bartender or server who got my food.

A case could be made for tipping as the server has to get the food together, put it in a bag, get the forks and knives and stuff and take the payment.

I have tipped in the past but usually don't here.

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

I tip, but of course I tip much less than delivery/table service.
Old 03-04-2006, 05:40 AM

I was wondering about this too because I've been eating out more and more lately (especially take out). Now, there's clearly a different between taking out some [censored] like McDonalds or going to a nice restaraunt for take out. Some places are in between though, and I don't tip there. Actually, as a matter of fact, I rarely ever tip for take out unless it's a very nice place and the check is high. Anyway, I NEVER carry cash on me and I pay for absolutely everything with credit cards. What I hate is when I go to one of these in between places and the credit card receipt that you have to sign has those extra lines for "tip" and "total." That really bothers the hell out of me because now it makes me feel more obligated to write something in. But I don't anyway, for the most part. Oh and in general, yes, I am a good tipper when it comes to that. But anyway, my question is if you all tend to write in any sort of a tip for take out at these mediocre places when there's a "tip" line on the credit card receipt.
Old 03-04-2006, 06:07 AM

If you don't want to tip, just strike out the tip line and write the same total down. The format of the credit card printouts shouldn't make you feel uncomfortable.
Old 03-04-2006, 07:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
gild,

"but [censored] come on...I'm paying $15 with tax for two pieces of pie."

That is the dumbest rationale ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

i disagree. his argument may simply be that at such an incredibly high price for pie, when he knows the general cost of the ingredients and labor which go into said piece of pie, he could be assuming that higher than normal worker salaries are incorporated into the price, making a tip less necessary. this wouldnt be bad rationale at all.

rj
Old 03-04-2006, 07:20 AM

guyontilt and i argued the other day over the fact that the sushi place i always get takeout from charges a 10% takeout surcharge. i contend that i am saving them a ton of work and money by not necessating their services as i would were i eating there. brighten contended that this charge was simply to recover the money lost from me not eating there and not tipping the waitresses. it seems to me like this surcharge is essentially forcing me to pay for a service im not using. i have paid the 10% a few times, but i think that the charge itself is an incredibly stupid idea.

rj
Old 03-04-2006, 12:33 PM

The only thing I ever pick up is pizza and I don't tip. If I'm picking up pizza I'm being stingy about the delivery tip anyway.