Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2007, 09:47 AM

Default Buying mutual funds in Canada

I'm a student and I have about 8k to invest long-term (25+ years) I want to go for a diversity of Canadian, US, and Emerging markets (esp. Asia) equity mutual funds.

Any one have any recommendations on some good funds / fund managers?

Thanks.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:55 AM

Default Re: Buying mutual funds in Canada

Don't, unless you're putting the fund in a registered account (tax deferred obv.).

It's generally not fun to lose half of your low double digit fund return (ideally) to MERs, tax, and inflation.

As a student with 8k to invest long term I'd suggest finding a good advisor who is knowledgable about small cap junior exploration equity. There is a vast fundamental misunderstanding of how the TSX-V works in Canada, and thus a good broker's edge for himself/clients is much larger than managed money.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:26 AM

With 8k you can't do jack [censored], much less go to an advisor who will laugh you out the door. If you want to diversify, then go with EFA, or VGTSX, which is the quickest way to get int'l exposure. That's pretty much all you can do for now considering your lack of capital.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a student and I have about 8k to invest long-term (25+ years) I want to go for a diversity of Canadian, US, and Emerging markets (esp. Asia) equity mutual funds.

Any one have any recommendations on some good funds / fund managers?

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Investigate minimum balances required by companies that provide ETFs (Barclays, for example). If you are planning to buy and hold equity index funds (not a bad retirement savings arrangement at your age) this may be your best bet.