Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2007, 08:49 AM

Default LIMIT question

Hey all,

I play NL (both cash and tournaments) almost exclusively - with some LOLohama and Stud thrown in every great once in awhile for fun or if I'm drinking...

My question pertains to limit hold 'em - and it's a very basic one: Does the adage "one BB per hour" still hold true in today's games, or should I expect much less or more than that?

The assumptions I'm running under are that I would be playing low stakes (not micros) - probably between $1/2 and possibly up to $5/10 (all online). Also, I'm assuming the "one BB per hour" assumes one full ring table, correct?

Obv no one can give me an exact answer, but just want to get a sense for what's possible from the winning limit players out there. Thanks.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:00 AM

Default Re: LIMIT question

One BB/hour is a good standard for mid stakes B&M. Below 10/20, 1.5 BB/hr is doable.

Online, 3 BB/100 is doable.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would be playing low stakes (not micros) - probably between $1/2 and possibly up to $5/10 (all online).

[/ QUOTE ]
based on what OP has said regarding his history (maybe he plays NL/cash well and can quickly adapt to limit but I dont know that) I'd suggest that initially he should be very happy with anything > 0BB/100.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would be playing low stakes (not micros) - probably between $1/2 and possibly up to $5/10 (all online).

[/ QUOTE ]
based on what OP has said regarding his history (maybe he plays NL/cash well and can quickly adapt to limit but I dont know that) I'd suggest that initially he should be very happy with anything > 0BB/100.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Plus, even if he plays NL cash well, it doesn't mean he'll be successful at limit.

NL players playing limit tend to make 3 big recurring errors: 1) calling too liberally preflop and 2)folding too much on the river, and 3) not value-betting often enough on the river.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:33 AM

Live - Yes, for limit between 1/2 and 10/20, you should be around 1bb/hour and 2bb/hour is doable.

Online is a little different since most people don't calculate "per hour" online for a number of reasons. One being that you can play numerous tables at a time, and two being that an "hour" online has a lot more hands in it than an hour live.

If you are trying to track your play, use pokertracker. It will log your total hands and give you a xBB/100 number which is the online equivalent to xbb/hour.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:16 PM

3 big bets per 100 hands was doable in online, limit small stakes games. It's much more difficult achieve now over a meaningful sample size, though. 1BB/100 should make you pretty happy.

While it's generally good to branch out and develop your skills in other disciplines once you've got your primary game pretty well figured out, as a skilled NL player you can likely achieve a better sustained earn rate in NL than in limit.