Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2007, 09:41 PM

Default Re: Bellagio Overreacts to David Singer Cellphone Incident

[ QUOTE ]

Why tell us that the iPhone is included? Is there any reason to assume it would not be included? How stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

indeed!
Old 07-10-2007, 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The Bellagio has instituted a harsh penalty for the use of a cellphone at the table. If any person is caught using a cellphone, and that includes the new Iphone,

[/ QUOTE ]

Why tell us that the iPhone is included? Is there any reason to assume it would not be included? How stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course. It is from Apple and most "Apple" people think they are special so it is just good to give them an extra heads up.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If any person is caught using a cellphone, and that includes the new Iphone, at the table, they will be given a 20-minute penalty.

[/ QUOTE ]
Absolutely ridiculous. Why does the TDA go to the trouble of changing time penalties to round penalties when no one is going to follow suit? Penalties should be 1-, 2- or 3 orbits.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Phone Penalties
If any person is caught using a cellphone, they will be given a 20-minute penalty,

[/ QUOTE ]

What happened to the TDA concept of laps or rounds.... (one lap of the button versus time) to minimize the impact that timed penalties have on later stages of tournaments. Or is this supposed to be a 2 round automatic ? Randy, Matt, someone please clarify.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:27 PM

The iPhone is included because it is often used strictly as an iPod. That use of an iPhone is banned as well, because the TDs wouldn't be able to easily distinguish how the iPhone was being used. (You can take phone calls over the same earphones used to listen to music.)

If a player wants to use an iPod, that's fine. But if a player wants to use the iPhone as an iPod (but not as a cellphone), then they are S.O.L.

This obviously applies to all phones that have music-playing capabilities, but since most of them suck for listening to music, it's seldom been a problem to this point.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Phone Penalties
If any person is caught using a cellphone, they will be given a 20-minute penalty,

[/ QUOTE ]

What happened to the TDA concept of laps or rounds.... (one lap of the button versus time) to minimize the impact that timed penalties have on later stages of tournaments. Or is this supposed to be a 2 round automatic ? Randy, Matt, someone please clarify.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not currently in Vegas so I don't know if this was a mistake by the OP or if this will be a time penalty. I do beleive that Jack M. knows better than the TDA.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:15 AM

rofl this is so dumb. pls let make it easier for my goons to see hands.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:26 AM

I don't even understand how this relates to the David Singer incident, considering the controversy in that situation was that it's disputed as to what the definition of "using your cellphone" is.

The incident involving David would still be just a big a problem with Bellagio's version of the rule. Is silencing your phone when it's ringing while you're in a hand "using your phone"? Would the Bellagio floor staff rule the same as the Rio's?
Old 07-11-2007, 06:00 AM

I was in the SS tonite and I was told that indeed it was a 20 minute penalty; not rounds. In the late stages of the SS this could easily cost you a 10k seat
Old 07-11-2007, 06:54 AM

That is stupid. The whole point of going to rounds was that penalties should be of even weight, whether in the beginning or end of a tourney. From what I heard, the person in the Singer hand took his phone out to turn to turn the ringer off, and thus briefly, (like 3 sec.), had the face of the phone in view. I read that the rest of the table thought his hand should have been killed.