Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2007, 01:14 PM

Default Is it viable to fold KK preflop against a super TAG with AA?

Villan 1 is 8/8/~/32
Villan 2 is 19/19/36

I know only a few hands so its a tough decision, at the end of the they could only be doing it with QQ, KK, AK, AA. Am I correct to play here? This is the biggest flaw in my game, so please only post with advice if you are a constant and experienced winner.

Hand 1:

Poker Stars
No Limit Hold'em Cash Game
$0.10/$0.25 Blinds
5 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $38.70
BB: $50.35
UTG: $13.00
Hero (CO): $28.50
BTN: $24.85

Preflop: Hero is dealt K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (5 Players)
UTG calls $0.25, <font color="red">Hero raises to $1.25</font>, BTN calls $1.25, <font color="red">SB raises to $5.00</font>, 2 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $20.00</font>, BTN folds, <font color="red">SB raises all-in to $38.70</font>, Hero calls all-in for $8.50
Uncalled bet of $10.20 returned to SB

Flop: ($58.75) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players - 2 All-In)

Turn: ($58.75) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players - 2 All-In)

River: ($58.75) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players - 2 All-In)

Pot Size: $58.75 ($2 Rake)

Hand 2:

Poker Stars
No Limit Hold'em Cash Game
$0.10/$0.25 Blinds
5 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $24.75
BB: $15.95
UTG: $23.50
CO: $20.60
Hero (BTN): $25.70

Preflop: Hero is dealt K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (5 Players)
2 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $1.00</font>, <font color="red">SB raises to $3.35</font>, BB folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $13.40</font>, <font color="red">SB raises all-in to $24.75</font>, Hero calls $11.35

Flop: ($49.75) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players - 1 All-In)

Turn: ($49.75) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players - 1 All-In)

River: ($49.75) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players - 1 All-In)

Pot Size: $49.75 ($2 Rake)
Old 07-10-2007, 01:19 PM

Default Re: Is it viable to fold KK preflop against a super TAG with AA?

I've never folded KK preflop at microstakes. If the first guy is a true 8/8 it starts to get close. I don't really know, but I get all-in preflop in these scenarios.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:25 PM

Just think about the situation everytime you get into it. First, on there final shove, first ask yourself what the pot odds are (I mean, you have KK so you're going to be 3 betting PF 90% of the time.) The first hand looks like 8 dollars in a 48 dollar pot. That's 6:1. Simple call with such good odds. You could be up against QQ,KK,AK,AA so you're ahead enough to call with 6:1. The second one you're getting 3+:1, so I think you can still make this call. Remember you have the second nuts here. I've found that calling with KK preflop with 3:1 or better odds is a profitable play in microstakes. If this were 2/4 or 3/6 I would tell you to save the dough and get out in the second and call the first. KK vrs AA is a classic debate in poker. People go broke with KK against AA all the time and say they couldn't have folded it, but people also go broke with QQ against KK too :-P. I just think that with 3:1 in microstakes it's an autocall with KK.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:33 PM

It can be a tough decision. Like you say, you never throw KK away at microstakes, I to have this attitude, however not all are muppets. It is a shame when you see all the "poker strategy" videos out there that say never throw away KK at microstakes. I have learned that it is actualy viable to do so sometimes.

I would much rarther throw my KK away and donate 4xBB or so, rarther than donate my whole stack. Im not being arogant like the majority of people in this forum... or even the majority of poker players, when I say that this is really the only evidant flaw in my game.

I think it is a real shame how self proclaimed masters of the game preach advice, even though they themselves are loosing players. I have lost a lot of money through ill advice, and thankfully I am now starting to understand each indidual situation more clearly.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:35 PM

See FAQ before posting please.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just think about the situation everytime you get into it. First, on there final shove, first ask yourself what the pot odds are (I mean, you have KK so you're going to be 3 betting PF 90% of the time.) The first hand looks like 8 dollars in a 48 dollar pot. That's 6:1. Simple call with such good odds. You could be up against QQ,KK,AK,AA so you're ahead enough to call with 6:1. The second one you're getting 3+:1, so I think you can still make this call. Remember you have the second nuts here. I've found that calling with KK preflop with 3:1 or better odds is a profitable play in microstakes. If this were 2/4 or 3/6 I would tell you to save the dough and get out in the second and call the first. KK vrs AA is a classic debate in poker. People go broke with KK against AA all the time and say they couldn't have folded it, but people also go broke with QQ against KK too :-P. I just think that with 3:1 in microstakes it's an autocall with KK.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont think calling in these situations is worthwhile, regarldess of pot odds.

For hand 1, he is going to continuation bet here 100% of the time, putting me in the exact same situation, except I now have $5 invested and there maybe another villan behind me. Looking back I should just trust my instincts here and fold... Something I am working on after all the months of bad advice from loosing players.

In hand 2, I maybe could smooth call here, however he could be thinking I am button stealing and trying to resteal. Because I had not played enough hands with him it is hand to tell if he has a hand or is restealing.

If he is restealing, then obviously smooth call and induce a bluff, however he could have a hand like TT and willing to play for his stack, seeing as I had been stealing his blinds a lot.

I think in Hand 2, due to the stealing the blinds situation, it is more viabley correct to play my KK fast as the chances of him having are significantly less than Hand 1.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
See FAQ before posting please.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you referring to the Villan result in the title?

Sorry. I thought it would be better for the topic, seeing as I was trying to dicuss a KK vs AA situation rarther than just a KK vs bets.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:55 PM

In both situations, the re-raise you have to call is less than what you just re-raised. How the hell are you going to fold getting those kind of pot odds? You're getting like 3-to-1 in both hands. You're 5-to-1 against AA, and you can't be 100% sure they have it. Easy calls.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In both situations, the re-raise you have to call is less than what you just re-raised. How the hell are you going to fold getting those kind of pot odds? You're getting like 3-to-1 in both hands. You're 5-to-1 against AA, and you can't be 100% sure they have it. Easy calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

You see this is the kind of bad and pointless advice I am talking about.

I am not speculating as to whether or not I should be calling after I have reraised... that is obvious. I am questioning whether or not I should be re-raising in the first place.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Im not being arogant like the majority of people in this forum... or even the majority of poker players, when I say that this is really the only evidant flaw in my game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude I don't mean to be a dick but there is no way that this is the only flaw in your game (or you wouldn't be in NL25).

I'm having a really tough time with the whole KK/AA argument. 1 year ago, I think that it would be very bad to ever fold KK preflop. I'm not going to say its acceptable now, but Stars NL25 is a whole lot nittier now compared with one year, so its at least closer.