Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2007, 05:57 AM

Default Re: Different types of wealth

[ QUOTE ]
If everyone was like me, saving 2/3 of their gross income before taxes then the economy would tank quickly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kind of a tangent, but I think the opposite is true. If people saved and invested more intelligently, the economy would be much better for it as there would be more entrepreneurship and growth. If people don't use their money at all and keep it in a safe their whole lives, then yeah that's bad for the economy... but saving with wealth in mind is economically productive.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
type 1 wealth seems like masturbation, and fairly stupid to have as a goal.

[/ QUOTE ]

type 1 wealth leads to security and having free time to do whatever you want, which I think most people value pretty highly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for quoting Guids so I can see it. Once in a while I need reminder as to why he's on ignore. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

srsly, you have ME on ignore? I dont exactly remember who prohornblower is, but I dont think I dislike him? ah, well, hes probably a douche if he has me on ignore.

OP, I think the problem is that you didnt make the guidelines for wealth #1 clear enough. I think when you were talking about 1 you were talking rich dad/poor dad type stuff (at least thats what I got out of it). try putting up some more concrete guidelines, income, savings, money spent on non-necessities etc.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:12 AM

I'd like to see the discussion hit on cultural capital.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If everyone was like me, saving 2/3 of their gross income before taxes then the economy would tank quickly.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF?
Old 07-10-2007, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF?

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't think that people spending money drives an economy? You don't think that if people saved more they'd spend less? You don't think that people spending more than their net worth is generally good for businesses?
Old 07-10-2007, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF?

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't think that people spending money drives an economy? You don't think that if people saved more they'd spend less? You don't think that people spending more than their net worth is generally good for businesses?

[/ QUOTE ]

a savings rate of .6667 is completely unrealistic for an economy as a whole. But increasing the savings rate from where it currently is would probably be beneficial for the economy in the long run.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

OP, I think the problem is that you didnt make the guidelines for wealth #1 clear enough. I think when you were talking about 1 you were talking rich dad/poor dad type stuff (at least thats what I got out of it). try putting up some more concrete guidelines, income, savings, money spent on non-necessities etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I was talking about that (well, I think I have - I haven't read RDPD but I would assume it is very similar to the two I listed in OP).
Old 07-10-2007, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I also am not really advocating a blow your money approach, if I wasnt clear. Im 25, single, live in a 900sqft 2 room apartment, I could afford a nice 2 bedroom house, but I pay 200/mo in rent, its a trade off that Im wiling to deal with that I dont necessarily think is a "trade off", its just that I dont need a 2 bedroom, so why pay all that extra money when I can get a bigger return putting my money elsewhere. Other than my car, and a bunch of gadgets/clothes, I live pretty cheaply, the reason I do this though, is so that I have as much "disposable" income as possible if I find a high risk, but possible high-reward place to put my money.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds exactly like #1 with a little bit of #2 (spending on toys) thrown in there.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

type 1 wealth leads to security and having free time to do whatever you want, which I think most people value pretty highly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for quoting Guids so I can see it. Once in a while I need reminder as to why he's on ignore. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

srsly, you have ME on ignore? I dont exactly remember who prohornblower is, but I dont think I dislike him? ah, well, hes probably a douche if he has me on ignore.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. I'd be willing to bet I'd like you IRL, but on here it seems like you jump into every thread and type up a bunch of stuff that usually doesn't have a lot of quality thought behind it. Not that I don't do the same. Don't worry - I have multiple generally "well-respected veteran" posters on ignore. FWIW, I don't think I'm a douche, but I probably am.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. I'd be willing to bet I'd like you IRL, but on here it seems like you jump into every thread and type up a bunch of stuff that usually doesn't have a lot of quality thought behind it. Not that I don't do the same. Don't worry - I have multiple generally "well-respected veteran" posters on ignore. FWIW, I don't think I'm a douche, but I probably am.

[/ QUOTE ]

everythign I post has quality behind it, just not everyone is quality enough to see it.

seriously though, what most of you guys are talking about in regards to Wealth type #1, is not what the OP had in mind (but I understood what he meant), so there is some confusion as to what was meant.