Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2007, 09:00 PM

Default NL10 FR how should i bet?

Hi! I want to know how should i bet all of streets in this hand. are my bets okay on all of streets ??

this is hand:

EverestPoker Game #1783534168: Table Riga-43 - $0.05/$0.10 - No Limit Hold'em - 22:55:06 - 2007/07/09

Seat 1: romaintoo ($11.25)
Seat 4: knautz ($12.52)
Seat 5: Miranda79 ($12.07)
Seat 6: sturm.graz.2 ($28.74)
Seat 7: rjwg ($4.09)
Seat 8: wilpert ($2.87)
Seat 10: sherdog88 ($10.00)

sturm.graz.2 posts the small blind of $0.05
rjwg posts the big blind of $0.10

The button is in seat #5

*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to sherdog88[Qd Qc]
wilpert folds
sherdog88 raises to $0.40
romaintoo folds
knautz folds
Miranda79 calls $0.40
sturm.graz.2 calls $0.35
rjwg folds

*** FLOP *** [9d 6c 8c]
sturm.graz.2 checks
sherdog88 bets $1.00
Miranda79 folds
sturm.graz.2 calls $1.00

*** TURN *** [9d 6c 8c] [Qh]
sturm.graz.2 checks
sherdog88 bets $1.50
sturm.graz.2 calls $1.50
*** RIVER *** [9d 6c 8c Qh] [8h]
sturm.graz.2 checks
sherdog88 bets $4.00
sturm.graz.2 calls $4.00

*** SHOW DOWN ***
sherdog88 shows [Qd Qc]
sturm.graz.2 mucks

*** SUMMARY ***
Board: [9d 6c 8c Qh 8h]
sherdog88 collects $13.59
Old 07-09-2007, 09:27 PM

Default Re: NL10 FR how should i bet?

Converters make it easier to read.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:38 PM

I am a beginner as well and new to 2+2 as well but i thought i would put my 2 cents in. I think the bets were well placed and the fact you popped your Q on the turn was perfect. The only thing i may have done differently is perhaps try to push more on the river if you think the villain would call. As well as maybe a bit more PF but again im noob as well and still learning. I think you played it well.

NH

PS hand converters are nice but this is the noob forum perhaps a link to a good converter would be apropro
Old 07-09-2007, 10:12 PM

The bet on the Turn was too small.

On the flop there was $1.25 in the pot and the flop was highly co-ordinated. Flush & straight draws are highly likely, particularly given SB's call pre-flop. If he had a big pair of AK before the flop he would have re-raised. If he had AK on the flop he would have folded, unless it was A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. He just called your flop bet, so we can put him comfortably on a draw. Perhaps a MADE straight like 75s or T7s.

The turn helps your hand. That's good. But if SB hits his draw, they your queens are no better than pocket deuces. That's bad. If he hasn't made his hand yet, you need to charge him too much to draw to it. If he HAS made his hand, you need to find out now before you donk off a big bet on the river.

There's $3.25 in the pot. You REALLY need to bet at least $2.00, maybe $2.50. And if you get played back at, you've got to fold.

On the river, well aren't you a lucky bastard? Top full house, the only had that beasts you is pocket 8's, and that's mathmaticly unlikely. Time to value bet.

At this point, played my way, there would be ~$9.00 in the pot. You would have $7.00 left. Shove. Any bet less than half the pot is a "reasonable" bet. He's calling with any set, and straight, and smaller full, hell, most middle pairs will call you down here.

Played your way there's ~$6.00 in the pot. Your value bet is fine.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:47 PM

big thx phydaux! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
how can I estimate a correct size of value bet ?

p.s any hand converters work with EverestPoker :/
Old 07-10-2007, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
big thx phydaux! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
how can I estimate a correct size of value bet ?

p.s any hand converters work with EverestPoker :/

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally, 2/3 to 3/4 of the pot is a decent value bet.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:21 PM

i think the betting is nice. turn bet could be a *little* bigger.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:30 PM

is value bet done only on the river, when i know that i got the best hand ?
Old 07-10-2007, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
is value bet done only on the river, when i know that i got the best hand ?

[/ QUOTE ]

A value bet is the name for a bet on the flop, turn, or river that is made when you have a solid hand. QQ with a flop of three undercards is a solid hand that is a good candidate for value betting. A value bet can really be anything from half of the pot to the size of the pot depending on the situation. There really isn't anything fancy to the term "value bet", it's really just a standard bet that you make when you have a good hand after the flop. Value bets accomplish a few things:

1) They get more money into a pot that you have a good chance of winning

2) They let your opponent know that you have a good hand, and they will need to pay for the opportunity to continue on.

3) If your opponent is drawing to a straight or flush or something else, it reduces the pot odds that your opponent gets for drawing to that hand.

Value bets have the following benefits:

1) They are large enough that your opponent will often fold, winning you the pot right there.

2) If your opponent decides to stay in, you have a good chance of winning an even bigger pot.

3) Even if you don't end up winning the hand, you have charged your opponent for trying to make a drawing hand, which is better than letting them get a free card to improve their hand.

Value bets differ from slowplaying and overbetting, which are other options when you have a good hand. You can slowplay a good hand, meaning either checking or putting in a small bet (generally less than 1/2 the pot), in an attempt to trick your opponent into thinking you have a weaker hand than you actually do.

You can also overbet, meaning that you bet more than the pot or go all-in. This is generally done when you want to win the pot immediately for whatever reason.

In short, a value bet is a standard bet that you make when you have a good hand on the flop, turn, or river.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The bet on the Turn was too small.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've hit top set and, of course, want to extract the most you can. Still, there's two draws on the board, either one of which the villain could have had. (Recall he just called yr post-flop bet.) By trying to suck him in by betting so little, you've actually sent him an invitation to call along for another card, one that makes it correct for him to keep playing. Instead, you need to deny him proper calling odds.

I also like a stiff bet here so that I can show down my trips and set up later situations where I think betting my draws may scare people off. To the rest of the table, I could be betting trips or a draw - it may be dangerous for them to proceed. I get a ton of respect after showing that I've bet legit hands out of the gate. The point here: there's not only money in sucking opponents into monsters, but also using using monsters to conceal your draws.