Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Probability
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2007, 02:40 AM

Default 3 way pot

Reading Phil Gordon's Green Book. On page 185, he describes 3 way pot preflop matchup:

AcJd 30.2%
KdQd 36.4%
8s8h 33.4%

How does the KdQd become the favorite? Doesn't seem to make sense. The ace is a higher hand plus the Ace and Jack are using up some of the KQ's straight cards! I guess if the AcJd hits one of his pair it gives 3 cards to a straight for the KQ..but completing the str8 isn't so hot for the KQ.

Really strange!!!!

Any thoughts?
Old 07-10-2007, 11:53 AM

Default Re: 3 way pot

Heads-up, AJ is a 56-44 favorite over the KQ; however when you add in the 88 hand, KQ becomes a favorite. Here's why: When it's heads-up between AJ and KQ, AJ wins if neither hands improves, which will happen fairly often. When you add in 88, AJ and KQ must now improve to win the hand. KQ has more ways to improve in this case because it's suited and and can make more straights. Granted, there are still cases were both hands will improve which favor AJ, such as an AKxxx board; however there are not enough of these cases to make up for the times KQ makes a flush or straight.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:56 PM

Default Re: 3 way pot

What really surprises me is that the pocket Eights are a dog to the KdQd and AcJd. The eights don't have to improve and the AJ and KQ are sharing straight cards!! I guess since any of 4 overcards can hit to take the lead.

I just did another matchup changing the "suited" KdQd to KsQd-- the "offsuit" KQ still has better odds than the AcJd. Pretty surprising. At least the pocket Eights are in front.

But