Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2007, 06:23 AM

Default Just got my first Betta, TR Kinda Pics inside

Got a new pet today. Unfortunately where I live does not allow cats, So when I went out to Walmart today I bought a Betta after being inspired by a 2+2 thread (could not find in search). I named my beta "Max" for no good reason other than it was the only thing I could think of. In the pics you can see I bought a Betta vase, some arts and crafts decorator stones, a Antherium (i think thats what its called, I could not find a peace lily at walmart), cut up a little piece of plastic to hold the plant up. Then I spent 20 minutes trying my best to wash all the dirt out of the roots, then trimmed the roots a lil bit, bought 2 gallons of spring water, and some betta food and put it all together. I was inspired by a picture I saw on the Net of another guys betta setup and I basically copied that. all together it took me about 30 minutes and $20. Not bad and it adds a little life and foliage to my apartment.

Thought u guys might appreciate this, I know lots of you poker playes are lonely, and this might bring a little joy in your lifes, plus spruce up your crib. (cut and pasted from the blog) [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Honest Ryan
Old 07-10-2007, 06:39 AM

Default Re: Just got my first Betta, TR Kinda Pics inside

Betta fish are completely useless. That's why they come with a plant - so it seems like you got some value with your purchase. If you're going to get a fish, why not buy a real tank and buy some real fish, rather than one you can buy in a jar at the supermarket?
Old 07-10-2007, 07:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Betta fish are completely useless. That's why they come with a plant - so it seems like you got some value with your purchase. If you're going to get a fish, why not buy a real tank and buy some real fish, rather than one you can buy in a jar at the supermarket?

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm... how are fish in a tank more useful? Carrying on with your logic there'd be no point in getting a small tropical set up, that's pathetic. You should only get a minimum 6'x3'x3' full marine tank with a mature reef using the berlin filtration method.

OP, nice job I'm sure it makes your place a little bit better.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:11 AM

You shouldn't have that plant on top of the fish bowl. Bettas actually need to come to the surface fairly often for oxygen. A plant that large will probably kill it, or at minimum it will have a lot of trouble getting the oxygen it needs.

Edit -- On a 2nd look, it looks like the root structure is completely blocking the top of the vase. Is the fish dead yet? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-10-2007, 07:32 AM

the fish can actually breath on all sides of the plant, I made sure of it. Although trying to take pix w/ the curvature of the glass makes it look like it cant. On Second thought I might trim the root structure a little more and lower the water level a tad to give Max even more surface area.

In the past I have had a 50 gallon tank, a 7ft long 200 Gallon tank, and have had salt and fresh water tanks. I hated owning them all and hated cleaning fish tanks. this one will be a little more easier to clean, and i will just cycle 30% of the water every 3 days, clean it once a week, and be done with it.

Anyone know how long a beta lives for? any over/unders?
Old 07-10-2007, 07:50 AM

I think you're planning on doing more maintenance than anyone in the history of betta ownership. I think the thing could live for 6 months or more without you doing anything at all (even feeding it).

Unless you kill it by depriving it of oxygen, it should live for a while.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:50 AM

Betta's usual life span can range up to 5 years - but most store bought betta's are at least a year old when you get them (thats when they come to fin maturity and make them look more appealing to buyers)
Old 07-10-2007, 07:59 AM

OP, nice job on getting the bettas, this is a good site for taking care and learning all about bettas and their care and helped me a ton with the ones i have...

BettaTalk
Old 07-10-2007, 08:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm... how are fish in a tank more useful? Carrying on with your logic there'd be no point in getting a small tropical set up, that's pathetic. You should only get a minimum 6'x3'x3' full marine tank with a mature reef using the berlin filtration method.

OP, nice job I'm sure it makes your place a little bit better.

[/ QUOTE ]
Because with a tank, you can get a diverse mix of interesting fish. See?
Old 07-10-2007, 08:06 AM

I'd only ever get a fish tank to get a shark that's at least about 2' long. I don't particularly enjoy fish, though it's tough not to think a shark just looks cool. The way they swim around makes it look like they're monitoring their environment. I imagine that even though territoriality is bunk, a tank is small enough so that they'd be forced into becoming thus.