Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2007, 12:49 AM

Default Re: Knife VS Bat, who wins?

I've trained in Arnise. We trained with the traditional batons along with many other types of weapons, including knives, broomsticks and all manner of striking implements.

I would choose the knife.

The bat holders body and balance are very sensitive with such a large weapon to wield. Being even slightly off balance greatly limits your ability to land an effective blow.

With a knife, I'm free to use my footwork and balance 100% to my ability. All my defensive and offensive techniques are at my disposal.

And as usual, Blarg is right. If someone has a weapon, run away.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:50 AM

Has no one suggested simply jumping away while swinging the bat to retain your reach advantage? A glancing blow from a bat is still pretty powerful, even if it is done with imperfect form and less than standard power.

Furthermore, comparing a bat swing to a kick is pretty ridiculous as the bat's power will be much more concentrated than a kick's.

Finally, going off of the bat guy gets in first hit, knife dude has an opening scenario -- If you are fighting your exact clone, does the damage from the initial swing overcome a weapon disparity? Essentially, is a knife so much more desirable than a bat that it can be wielded by you, after getting hit (albeit it not at maximum power), in a manner that still beats out the unharmed bat holder?
Old 07-10-2007, 12:50 AM

Bat being swung by two arms is nowhere near as fast as knife.

You'd be amazed at how fast people can close.

Knife guy doesn't need to hold you to stab you, and needs barely any contact with you at all to slash.

You seem to discount the fact that you could be dead with a single stab, or dead or incapacitated within seconds. A slash can disable you too, or kill or blind. You seem to be taking knife wounds with more than a grain of salt here.

Yet you mention that it shouldn't be overlooked that you can club someone on the ground who is immobilzed to death pretty easily. This was a pretty bizarre point, as was what it looked like you were also trying to say in that paragraph, that you could fight okay with a bat from the ground?
Old 07-10-2007, 12:51 AM

the answer is knife you morans
Old 07-10-2007, 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Has no one suggested simply jumping away while swinging the bat to retain your reach advantage? A glancing blow from a bat is still pretty powerful, even if it is done with imperfect form and less than standard power.

Furthermore, comparing a bat swing to a kick is pretty ridiculous as the bat's power will be much more concentrated than a kick's.

[/ QUOTE ]

A bat will have more power, but probably not more concentrated (or slightly more; concentration is a measure of power over area, and the striking area of a bat is actually very similar to that of a leg)... also jumping away while swinging takes away all of your power. You generate power with your legs and torso. Power comes from the ground. Just swinging your arms and hands with a bat won't do much damage at all unless you catch someone cleanly across the head. Knife.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
people who are picking bat, please state your weapons training/martial arts experience. thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

bat... no contest

Old 07-10-2007, 12:58 AM

i take the knife.

i run right at him and then i do a baseball slide feet first. I end up behind him. i jump up and stick the knife into that sensitive area on the inside of his leg. then i stick it right into his stomach and rip out the insides.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:01 AM

I know swinging the bat while jumping back wont do much damage, but the fact that it assists in retaining your range advantage is key. I see it more as a tactic of attrition than anything else, until you can move in for more powerful attacks when your opponent is weakened.

Regarding the kick thing... A bat is substantially smaller than a leg; dont claim otherwise.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I know swinging the bat while jumping back wont do much damage, but the fact that it assists in retaining your range advantage is key. I see it more as a tactic of attrition than anything else, until you can move in for more powerful attacks when your opponent is weakened.

Regarding the kick thing... A bat is substantially smaller than a leg; dont claim otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jumping around and swinging the bat to retain your range advantage is just going to tire you out dude...
Old 07-10-2007, 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Has no one suggested simply jumping away while swinging the bat to get you killed

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp