Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2007, 08:39 PM

Default Re: the family dog got put down today.

My 13 year old dog is getting old too and it's pretty sad.. Sorry to hear about your loss but just remember all the great memories you've had.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:45 PM

Sorry about your loss [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I've always had a dog in my life, and Ive had 10+ dogs pass away...they never get easier and always suck [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-09-2007, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess I'm lucky. Both my parents, all four of my grandparents, and one great-grandparent are still living. I know people who have died but wasn't super close with them. So I'm not used to the whole death thing.

Although there's been a lot lately, one gal in OOT who put her horse down, that NVG where the guy disappeared and ended up dead, the whole Benoit thing.

And this guy in a 12-step meeting I was at had a seizure during the meeting on Thursday, had a heart attack shortly after and died Friday night. I didn't really know him or anything but still sad.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I'm stuck for several hours in Denver, on the way to my grandmother's funeral. That's the closest relative I've had pass in 15+ years. Also, a friend of mine's brother-in-law died last week, he had some brain clotting and within a few days of showing symptoms he was dead. 42, married with two young kids. Brutal.

Anyway, sorry for your loss obv. How are your cats doing?
Old 07-09-2007, 10:24 PM

Sorry about the loss man.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:37 PM

We put our dog down at 12 about 6 months ago.
I felt terrible, but it was for the best.
The dog has been around most of my life so I was all choked up. Who would think something something as small as a little animal can be such a big part/loss of your life.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:40 PM

My sincerest condolences.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:02 AM

Sorry to hear this Stranger. Its nice to know she had a loving family to care for her. Condolences.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:05 AM

Great post. Sorry for your loss.

fyc
Old 07-10-2007, 12:11 AM

I had a Vizsla, which are similar to Weims. A little smaller and brown, not grey. Weims are high on my list for my next dog. Hopefully that won't be for a while as I have two young labs. Sorry to hear about your loss. Looks like a great dog.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:07 AM

My family got a golden retreiver puppy when I was in high school. (I have since graduated from college and have been working for about 6 years. I still live only a couple miles from my parents house, so I saw her all the time.) She was a great dog. She was so playful and athletic. She was my favorite dog. I used to take her running with me. And even a couple months ago I used to chase her around the house and wrestle with her.

Three weeks ago my parents went on vacation for two weeks and asked me to watch the dog (shes 12). The first few days were ok but she wasn't eating much. The next couple days she didn't eat anything except treats, and those reluctantly. I called my parents and they thought she was depressed because they had gone away. Also she was cooped up in one room while i was at work because there were poeple in the house re-doing their tile floor. So, she could be wierded out because of that.

A couple more days go by and she still isnt eating, not even treats now. I talk to my parents and call the vet at their suggestion. He suggests some easy things and says that I should only be worried if she inst eating by Saturday. Well, Saturday comes and she still isnt eating and is becoming pretty lethargic. I take her to an emergency vet becasue the regular vet isnt open. They do an ultrasound and find some irregularities in her liver but nothing conclusive. They prescribe pills for nausea assuming thats why she wont eat.

Sunday - she throws up even though she hasnt eaten. I suspect there is blood in it. She does it again during the night.

Monday - When i take her outside in the morning she walks out the door and just stands there. I walk out into the yard and call her, she takes about a minute to walk to me and then just stands there. This was particularly hard on me becasue she was such an excitable dog before. When you would say "do you want to go outside?" she would rush to the door and get excited, and if you waited to open the door it was like revving her up. To go from that to this other extreme in just a week... painful.

So, I take her to the vet right after that. He agrees to keep her for the day and observe as well as run tests. They find that there is something seriously wrong with her liver and that she is in the beginning stages of kidney failure. They give her 48 hours to live and recommend putting her down. I talk to my parents and they agree, they talk to the vet to try and see if they can get back from vacation in time to at least say goodbye. There won't be time. So, I tell the vet to go ahead. I couldnt make myself go there when they did it. That was a rough day. Possibly my roughest. Ugh..

I didn't mean for this post to be so long. And I may have cried a little while typing it...

Cliffnotes:
I put down the family dog a week ago while my parents were out of town and I was watching the dog.