Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2007, 05:58 PM

Default Re: Greater EV with passive play and flopped set?

[ QUOTE ]

Guys...think outside the box for a change. My reasoning is sound. I happened to have lost as little as possible, while not sacrificing any value.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you post a hand you think you played optimal? Isnt that just spamming the forum?

Stop being results oriented and start playing good poker. You played your set terrible and the fact he had a better hand doesnt make it ok.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:04 PM

When did I ever say "NEVER" raise a set? I raise this flop (or the turn) against most opponents.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:09 PM

how do you play A4 here? do you think it's odd that you would play it the same way? doesn't there seem to be a disconnect there?
Old 07-09-2007, 06:15 PM

raise flop or turn plz.. even when the flush draw comes.
If your ahead, hes crushed. If your behind, you have good equity.

You claim him to be so passive, yet you are afraid of the flush draw. If hes so passive that he will put in no bets with anything you arent beating, why is he donking you with a flush draw.

Raise the flop, even if he only has a pair of 9`s or kings hè can possibly improve to a second best hand giving you action. There`s also K9 and K4...

Go to war
Old 07-09-2007, 06:16 PM

I'm not trying to beat a dead horse since there so many have already said it, but this hand is played horribly. How can someone be a passive player and then donk a small flushdraw, I feel like that doesn't go with your read. Also if he is so readable, why not raise turn since he is so passive as you say he will only 3 bet big flushes which you have odds to beat, or at least raise river. Lots of people will not 3 bet rivers without sure locks and he might think you were slow playing him with a bigger flush or something since its obvious you are capable of slowplaying in horrible spots already.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:18 PM

Oink...you are making a lot of assumptions. I do not necessarily think I played the hand optimally. I simply took a non-standard line (my intention the whole way was to raise somwhere....but, I just thought he hit his flush based on those stats and watching him play), then analyzed it and I'm wondering if there is value to this line in certain spots. You're saying there isn't...OK.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:51 PM

@ OP a few things.

First of all, you're sort of new here, and the form in which advice is offered in this forum (and 2p2 generally) tends to be on the caustic side. Don't get defensive, people aren't attacking you personally, this is just how we talk.

Second, not to pile on, but your line is horrid. Raise any turn 100% of the time, on this flop. If there were other people in the hand, say cold-callers between you and BB then smooth calling the flop is probably EVEN WORSE on this board, I might add.

I actually think that against a low AF villain, this line is worse than vs. high AF, because high AF villains tend to be able to find folds (remember PT AF is simply bet+raise/call - folds raise the AF by decreasing the denominator). AF 2 villains might take a Bet, Bet/fold line here, but a low AF guy ain't folding. Charge him. If he has a better hand, so be it - if you aren't losing a lot when you flop sets and lose, you are playing them wrong.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I actually think that against a low AF villain, this line is worse than vs. high AF, because high AF villains tend to be able to find folds (remember PT AF is simply bet+raise/call - folds raise the AF by decreasing the denominator). AF 2 villains might take a Bet, Bet/fold line here, but a low AF guy ain't folding. Charge him. If he has a better hand, so be it - if you aren't losing a lot when you flop sets and lose, you are playing them wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

You make a good point about villains af. Another thing is that villains with high af is that theyre more likely to 3 bet the flop allowing you to still get in a raise on the turn.