Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2007, 05:35 PM

Default Re: Ask a music scene micro celebrity

[ QUOTE ]
Steve: Swingo is my new favorite game and i would like to wager all my moneys on it.

Regarding something you said earlier...my roomate and I (he posts here as G-street) have been in a running argument about something Henry Rollins said on his show... about bands selling out their music to commercials. His claim: Who cares? Let good musician make a few bucks being appreciated now that they are respected instead of dismissed and ignored. Yet you said earlier that you get creeped out and disgusted when you see it happen, and you feel that they've let their fans down. Do artists really have some kinda responsibility to their audiences...even though, as you say, the best records are made without giving a crap what the public thinks?

I want Iggy to be as rich and popular as Justin Timberlake, yet I can't listen to Lust for Life without picturing some douchebag on a Carnival Cruise galavanting in the briny surf with his fat kids. Is this my problem or his or something in between?

Poker question: Would you ever put your tournament life in on a draw? If so, would you kick yourself in the nuts for using the term tournament life?

lol rockaments,
--GA

[/ QUOTE ]
QFWTKTATTM

(Quoted for wanting to know the answers to this myself)
Old 07-09-2007, 05:54 PM

I saw that Nancarrow piece at Carnegie Hall as well. It was performed by Bang On a Can & was a transcription they did of one of his piano pieces. Really great.

Steve, have you started recording with OM yet? How does that usually work with bands you have not worked with before - they send you a demo of what they want to record or do you have no idea what they want to record until you all get in the studio?
Old 07-09-2007, 06:16 PM

tell me more about milemarker.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:22 PM

Not sure if you answered it but I would love to know about the Rudimentary Peni sessions. As far as I can tell you've never mentioned it on your forum.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Steve: Swingo is my new favorite game and i would like to wager all my moneys on it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Come to Chicago on any Tuesday and look me up.

[ QUOTE ]
...something Henry Rollins said on his show... about bands selling out their music to commercials. His claim: Who cares? Let good musician make a few bucks being appreciated now that they are respected instead of dismissed and ignored.

[/ QUOTE ]
Precisely the answer you'd expect from the Voice of GM Trucks. It's an argument that holds absolutely no water.

To say that an artist with a legion of devoted fans and a culturally-significant body of work is being "dismissed and ignored" is ridiculous prima facie and doesn't really need further debunking. What he's talking about is money. Whenever anybody starts justifying taking money with language derived from some other consideration, he's actually talking about the money.

I cannot fault anybody for taking money for their work, especially in dire circumstances (people often do degrading things for money, especially in dire circumstances), but it is ludicrous to suggest that as a fan (a participant in the celebration that made the song "Lust for Life" a valuable commodity in the first place) I shouldn't notice that it has happened, and that it shouldn't change the meaning of the song in my estimation. Of course I will, and of course it does. Previously, "Lust for Life" had been an ode to decadence, written and performed in a frenzy of cocaine, heroin bingeing and buggery. It has now become a mormon-worthy family-fun cruise jingle. Of course it has changed.

[ QUOTE ]
Do artists really have some kinda responsibility to their audiences...even though, as you say, the best records are made without giving a crap what the public thinks?

[/ QUOTE ]
No, they owe us nothing. That also means that my enthusiasm for artists isn't bulletproof, and I owe them no allegiance either. If they become something I cannot get behind, then they are likely to lose me as a fan.

[ QUOTE ]
I want Iggy to be as rich and popular as Justin Timberlake

[/ QUOTE ]
Rich, okay, but what benefit is it to the world to have douchebags and Justin Timberlake fans listening to Iggy Pop? Not everything is for everybody, and I don't think everything is universally improved if you lay it on with a ladle.

[ QUOTE ]
Poker question: Would you ever put your tournament life in on a draw?

[/ QUOTE ]
If you're not willing to move-in with 21 outs on the flop, you're not really playing poker. If you mean calling-off with a bare eight-out draw, then I'd need to be somewhat desperate.
[ QUOTE ]
If so, would you kick yourself in the nuts for using the term tournament life?

[/ QUOTE ]
You used the term, dipstick, not me.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:17 PM

Have you lost the drive to be a great sound engineer? Ive found some people lose their enthusiasm when it is a full time job.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What are your favorite "outlaw" country performers besides Willie? Anything obscure you might recommend that most fans of the genre would not know about?

[/ QUOTE ]
There are a lot of under-appreciated roots/country guys out there. I would suggest Johnny Dowd and Buddy Miller, and for crazy playing, nobody beats Junior Brown. In the Waylon/Willie/Merle triumvirate, I always liked Willie's personality more, and he wrote better songs.

The man wrote "Crazy," and for that alone, there ought to be a statue of him someplace.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not sure if you answered it but I would love to know about the Rudimentary Peni sessions. As far as I can tell you've never mentioned it on your forum.

[/ QUOTE ]
During a period when Rudimentary Peni were on hiatus, Grant and Jon made a multitrack recording of themselves playing a few songs, and I added guitar at my studio in Chicago. I asked Jay Tiller (of Couch Flambeau) to be the vocalist, and the tapes were eventually finished. There was never a release made of this Rudimentary Tiller-bini master, and eventually Rudimentary Peni came back into activity with their own records.

I honestly can't say why we never bothered releasing it, except that it wasn't a real band, and so nobody had any strong ambition with it.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:02 PM

Do you have any tips on capturing a good rock snare? I don't have decent dynamic mic's (only sm57 and 58)and seem to always overload any condesor that I put near it.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you have any tips on capturing a good rock snare? I don't have decent dynamic mic's (only sm57 and 58)and seem to always overload any condesor that I put near it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Looks like it's time to buy a microphone or two.

Readily-available modestly-priced mics that work well on snare: Sennheiser 421, Beyer M201, Shure KSM141. Start there.