Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2007, 02:14 AM

Default Re: Good spot for a free showdown?

[ QUOTE ]
Here's a play I made tonight that I think is a good example of when to use the free showdown play:

A bunch of limpers. I'm in the BB w/ 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

Flop:

K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

SB checks, I bet, everybody folds(!!!!) to SB who calls.

Turn:

A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

SB bets, I raise.

To elaborate a bit further (while I am sometimes wrong, of course) players who bet out when the Ace comes on the turn always seem just plain desperate to me. It's as if they think: 'I'm in trouble! Let me bet this scary Ace and he will faint and I will win!' Anyway, I can't figure out what kind of Ace he could have, I have all sorts of doubts about what SB has, but I have a hand I want to at least show down.

[/ QUOTE ]

HB--

I think this is a very good raise, but I'm not quite sure I'd call it a free showdown, just because you don't have a ton of interest in showing down your hand unimproved. It's more a classical defense against a semibluff + good spot to make certain better made hands fold. Obviously you can't fold to a threebet.

But again, nice raise.

--Nate
Old 07-09-2007, 03:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Here's a play I made tonight that I think is a good example of when to use the free showdown play:

A bunch of limpers. I'm in the BB w/ 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

Flop:

K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

Turn:

SB bets, I raise.

To elaborate a bit further (while I am sometimes wrong, of course) players who bet out when the Ace comes on the turn always seem just plain desperate to me. It's as if they think: 'I'm in trouble! Let me bet this scary Ace and he will faint and I will win!' Anyway, I can't figure out what kind of Ace he could have, I have all sorts of doubts about what SB has, but I have a hand I want to at least show down.

[/ QUOTE ]

HB--

I think this is a very good raise, but I'm not quite sure I'd call it a free showdown, just because you don't have a ton of interest in showing down your hand unimproved. It's more a classical defense against a semibluff + good spot to make certain better made hands fold. Obviously you can't fold to a threebet.

But again, nice raise.

--Nate

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks and ok. I didn't know if he was bluffing, semi-bluffing or had a hand and I wanted to show down due to the size of the pot and my inability to give him credit for having a better hand. I just thought his actions strange.

Here is what happened which illustrates one of your main points:

When I raised he showed me his K-8o, said 'You must have 2 pair' and folded.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Flop:

Turn:

SB bets, I raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

HB--

But again, nice raise.

--Nate

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks and ok. I didn't know if he was bluffing, semi-bluffing or had a hand and I wanted to show down due to the size of the pot and my inability to give him credit for having a better hand. I just thought his actions strange.

Here is what happened which illustrates one of your main points:

When I raised he showed me his K-8o, said 'You must have 2 pair' and folded.

[/ QUOTE ]

HB--

Nice work. Unleash that inner maniac.

(Actually, I think that not raising this turn is a significant mistake against most CAZ types.)

--Nate
Old 07-09-2007, 03:57 AM

As long as you are raking in the monies guess you played it well right? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 07-09-2007, 04:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As long as you are raking in the monies guess you played it well right? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Winning a big pot is always nice but I try my best not to care what happens. I'd rather lose while making the best decisions that I can than win by making mistakes.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maliant --

Huh? To not raise this turn you would need to be playing against a very honest, very scared bettor who calls down with most anything in small/medium pots. There are plenty of these guys around but not quite enough that you should assume an unknown is one of them. And against an unknown at CAZ, just calling is bad.

--Nate
Old 07-09-2007, 04:22 AM

NATE--

Sorry, I was not attempting to be sarcastic, I don't think the turn-raise was bad, although I am slightly surprised he threw k-8 in this spot i certainly wouldn't have. Anyways the play worked so good for him.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
NATE--

Sorry, I was not attempting to be sarcastic, I don't think the turn-raise was bad, although I am slightly surprised he threw k-8 in this spot i certainly wouldn't have. Anyways the play worked so good for him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maliant--

No problem. I don't think folding K8-type hands is the main focus of this play, but it can happen.

My heavens, are you a prolific poster.

--Nate
Old 07-09-2007, 04:18 PM

Nate: good post

HB: NH. I think your image does wonders for you in this hand. If Nate or I were to raise that turn I don't know if we could get a fold. I would still raise it though.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:21 PM

Lol I can't get people to throw away Ace high on turn to my bet/3bets so def wouldnt work for me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]