Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2007, 04:57 PM

Default $25NL playing 99 as an overpair OOP

This was my very first hand at the table, so no reads. On the turn I thought about it and decided I was ahead, as he's presumably raising any pair higher than mine PF, so unless he's flopped a monster I'm probably ahead. I decided to c/c pretty much any river, as if I push the river myself I'm only getting called by hands that beat me, and if I check I allow him to bet/bluff with a lower unimproved PP or a busted FD. Been having a discussion with a friend about this hand (h0nk) and we can't really decide if it's good or not.

Any thoughts appreciated as always.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Button ($44)
SB ($57.25)
Hero ($25)
UTG ($37.55)
MP ($15)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. MP posts a blind of $0.25.
UTG calls $0.25, MP (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1.5</font>, UTG calls $1.25, MP calls $1.25, SB folds.

Flop: ($4.75) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4</font>, UTG calls $4, MP folds.

Turn: ($12.75) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $10</font>, UTG calls $10.

River: ($32.75) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $22.05 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls $9.50 (All-In).

Final Pot: $64.30
Old 07-09-2007, 05:02 PM

Default Re: $25NL playing 99 as an overpair OOP

I think it's fine. preflop/flop is standard, you have to bet the turn because hes most likely on a fd. And you also have to call the river because of the odds (1:4).
Old 07-09-2007, 05:13 PM

Weird hand A5 would be on my mind, seen so many super slow play trips then chuck it all in on river hoping your commited by then. I agree betting turn also. Odds dictate river call this could be missed flush draw or aks but cant get a5 off my mind some dudes love that hand.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:31 PM

I call his river bet.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:01 PM

The river call is standard given the odds that I'm getting, I'm more interested in the analysis of previous streets, and checking the river vs betting it.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:03 PM

Is preflop standard? I usually check this with an unknown UTG raiser. Basically this looks fine though.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:15 PM

No razors. Limped to hero in the BB. 99 is standard pf raise for me here. Maybe I make it a buck fifty more.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:25 PM

Is villain really going to check behind a better hand here?

If we are going to call, which we basically will based on our stack to pot ratio than maybe a bet on the river is the way to go in order to get value from worse hands. Unless the check on the river was intended to induce a bluff.

I think I usually end up check calling in these situations as well, but I'm thinking that this may not be the right play in these situations.

Thoughts???
Old 07-09-2007, 07:08 PM

Pre-flop and flop I play the same.

Turn I'm not so sure about. At this point, I'm thinking flush draw/44-99/some random 5 (e.g 56s - easily possibly from a limp-caller). We're pretty crushed by 44, 55(remote obviously) and any 5. Do 66,77,88,99(again remote) call a $10 bet here?

So, the only things we really beat are the flush draw and 66-99, the latter (and possibly the former) we're probably getting to fold here.

Don't really like the check either as it gives a free card to the FD and the opportunity for worse hands to force us off of ours. Very read dependent and as there are none and I prefer lower variance type poker, I probably check the turn and fold to any serious aggression, otherwise try to get to showdown cheaply.

As played, I feel check-call river to pick off missed FDs is best. Could possibly be losing value from 66-88 but those holdings look unlikely now.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:38 PM

I wouldn't bet out so big on the turn. The call of UTG would concern me. Maybe he's doing it with overcards or a FD, otherwise you're crushed. I would pull out a kind of feeler/block (small) bet on the turn to see if villain comes over the top. The hands you have beat won't raise here. If you get raised you can lay it down. If he'll call you don't have to get broke on this one on the river. The river i would check/call, you will catch a bluff, get value from 66-88 and won't go broke on monsters.
As played i don't think you can fold on the river. You're allready very committed. I think however chances are slim you will come out winning regarding the action.