Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2007, 02:58 PM

Default Re: Ask a music scene micro celebrity

What can you tell me about a Croatian band called SexA? I heard that you had wanted to work with them at some point in the past. Were you involved with them in any way (friends/collaborations?) Can we expect anything from you and SexA in the future?
Old 07-09-2007, 02:59 PM

i think 18th Dye's 'tribute to a bus' is one of the best and best SOUNDING albums ever.
a. how awesome was it to see those songs coming together?
b. why is that band so slept on?
cheers
Old 07-09-2007, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think 18th Dye's 'tribute to a bus' is one of the best and best SOUNDING albums ever.

[/ QUOTE ]
Seconded.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know much of Nancarrow - heard one piece played live at Carnegie Hall this year - but you've convinced me to check it out.

[/ QUOTE ]
I would skip the stuff he wrote for conventional ensembles until you've had a chance to hear the player piano stuff. I don't even recommend hearing any of the human-performed four-handed transcriptions, since there are some amazing whirlwind glissando effects that only really work on the mechanical pianos. There's a terrific annotated 4-disc set of the "complete studies for player piano" that shows up on eBay now and again, and the old vinyl editions are excellent recordings of Nancarrow's own pianos, in his studio, supervised by Nancarrow himself.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:15 PM

This thread is excellent, but I can't help thinking of this onion article (one of my favs), especially with all of the newbie posters:
http://www.theonion.com/content/node/27870
Old 07-09-2007, 04:18 PM

I missed a hundred posts or so, so forgive me if this has been asked.

What are your favorite "outlaw" country performers besides Willie? Anything obscure you might recommend that most fans of the genre would not know about?
Old 07-09-2007, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I missed a hundred posts or so, so forgive me if this has been asked.

What are your favorite "outlaw" country performers besides Willie? Anything obscure you might recommend that most fans of the genre would not know about?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to add to this, and ask what it is about Willie Nelson that you like so much?
Old 07-09-2007, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
steve, what do you think of sheryl crow's "anything but down"?

it's awesome, isn't it

[/ QUOTE ]
I am unfamiliar with this song. I am actually unfamiliar with Sheryl Crow's music, except for what Bob plays in the van, but every time I see her in videos or what have you, I wonder if she likes it in the can.

I wonder why that is?
Old 07-09-2007, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
steve, what do you think of sheryl crow's "anything but down"?

it's awesome, isn't it

[/ QUOTE ]
I am unfamiliar with this song. I am actually unfamiliar with Sheryl Crow's music, except for what Bob plays in the van, but every time I see her in videos or what have you, I wonder if she likes it in the can.

I wonder why that is?

[/ QUOTE ]

all girls do.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:26 PM

Steve: Swingo is my new favorite game and i would like to wager all my moneys on it.

Regarding something you said earlier...my roomate and I (he posts here as G-street) have been in a running argument about something Henry Rollins said on his show... about bands selling out their music to commercials. His claim: Who cares? Let good musician make a few bucks being appreciated now that they are respected instead of dismissed and ignored. Yet you said earlier that you get creeped out and disgusted when you see it happen, and you feel that they've let their fans down. Do artists really have some kinda responsibility to their audiences...even though, as you say, the best records are made without giving a crap what the public thinks?

I want Iggy to be as rich and popular as Justin Timberlake, yet I can't listen to Lust for Life without picturing some douchebag on a Carnival Cruise galavanting in the briny surf with his fat kids. Is this my problem or his or something in between?

Poker question: Would you ever put your tournament life in on a draw? If so, would you kick yourself in the nuts for using the term tournament life?

lol rockaments,
--GA