Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2007, 01:31 PM

Default Re: 100-200-400 Hand in Bobby\'s Room vs Viffer

[ QUOTE ]
call me nitty but i'd shut it after the flop, take the free card and fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

that is why nobody will remember your name.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:19 PM

Obviously he flopped Aces full. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
He doesn't ask you 'how much do you have left' for nothing. He was representing a draw so that you would bet his monster. When the board paired the river he wanted some value so he bet knowing that you wouldn't put him on the 8 and may call with something, but at the same time knowing you would not bet if he had checked.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
anybody who knows viffer what percent does he fold AQ/AJ there?

[/ QUOTE ]
hi matt,

[ QUOTE ]
i've played quite a few hours with viffer

the viffer i know is rarely folding a big ace here

he will usually call

[/ QUOTE ]
especially given ariel's relatively short stack, viffer's rarely folding AQ/AJ, and he's NEVER folding AK.

[/ QUOTE ]

stacks are 50K right? minimum 125bb possibly more depending on how you like to count with 3bb. how does viffer survive if he routinely stacks off or near to it with AK/AQ? are the live games so aggressive that that becomes profitable? not saying he's wrong just haven't played in many live games that are THAT aggressive. or is it that he only plays AK/AQ passively a portion of the time and so three-calls with it?

btw obv. you need to three-call with some hands against really aggro players. AK/AQ is as good as any save for being the obvious choices, just curious on the line selection.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would just fold, viffers line almosts expect to induce a shove, and he knows it.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you expect him to do this with just a good Ace? If so, that is some pretty sweet poker IMO. Viffer plays a lot of HS O8 and he sucks hard, but moves like this give me newfound respect for him and show me where he gets his money. I mean, obv we have no idea if he was doing this this time, and it's much different if he has the nuts like in Grimm's hand, but I'm curious. How many of you have this play (donk river with a marginal hand planning on inducing and calling a shove) as a regular part of your arsenal? The opponents in my game are rarely aggro enough for me to try this, I think, but it'd work like a charm on me.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:57 PM

Excellent question. Viffer has been playing HS poker for a very long time and I'd assume reads his opponents very well. To answer, I do it very rarely, but I would do it against someone like FF who I know a) is very capable of 2-barreling, esp in position, and b) has the balls to shove over the top of a block-looking bet with any two.

In this case, though, I still think it was a genuine blocking bet and he wasn't necessarily committed to calling a shove. I also think he's laying down AQ- to a push, but I haven't played with him that much.

Kirk
Old 07-09-2007, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would just fold, viffers line almosts expect to induce a shove, and he knows it.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you expect him to do this with just a good Ace? If so, that is some pretty sweet poker IMO. Viffer plays a lot of HS O8 and he sucks hard, but moves like this give me newfound respect for him and show me where he gets his money. I mean, obv we have no idea if he was doing this this time, and it's much different if he has the nuts like in Grimm's hand, but I'm curious. How many of you have this play (donk river with a marginal hand planning on inducing and calling a shove) as a regular part of your arsenal? The opponents in my game are rarely aggro enough for me to try this, I think, but it'd work like a charm on me.

[/ QUOTE ]

<raises hand>

i love that move. but i usually have a good idea what my opponent has before making it.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:51 PM

i would fold in this spot. -ba
Old 07-09-2007, 11:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i would say something like "do you want me to raise is that why you bet that?" and then say "ok" and shove.

[/ QUOTE ]

awesome!
Old 07-09-2007, 11:33 PM

I def think shoving here is bad. These days I see these weak lead thingies as bluff inducers way more than anything else.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:50 AM

fwiw, viffer isnt an idiot, hes actually a v smart guy/poker player, sometimes spewy etc etc, but def not the soft spot at the table. he reads hands well and can be pretty tricky. i like a fold here.