Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2006, 10:21 PM

Default Re: Internet addiction / 2+2 addiction

MicroBob people who become addicted to interacting on the Internet tend to do so because of a lack of fulfilling social interaction in their real lives. I wouldn't worry about the fact that you could be playing more online poker if you didn't do this, I'd look at the online lifestyle you may lead and ask yourself if you would prefer to be spending that time interacting with other people. Countless debates and arguments about bloody poker may be a substitution and replacement for more regular meaningful social interactions. I don't know if that is true of you, but it is true of many people whom it would be considered are Internet addicts.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:40 PM

That's not the case for me, I have a large web of friends outside of poker. I'm just totally obsessed about the game, and the more I learn from 2+2, the better I am.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:21 AM

bob: i struggle with this a lot also. i've been considering stepping down as a mod lately and then trying to get banned GoT style so I can move on with my life.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:41 AM

I'm addicted to these boards. Flat out, plain and simple. It affects my productivity and life. But I LOVE spending time here - just one of those things I need to work on, it's ok if I don't check the boards for 30 minutes, the woruld will not come to an end. This site has made me the player I am though (whatever that means).

Jeff
Old 03-02-2006, 09:19 PM

Hello everyone, my name is Matt and I am addicted to the 2+2 forums. Thank you.

-Matt
Old 03-03-2006, 04:45 PM

I just broke my own addiction. It was to the mmorpg Eve Online. I loved it. I played 16hrs a day or more. I went 3+ months on minimal sleep just so I could advance as far as possible in the game. I have done this with other video games. Luckily I did not chew into my bankroll very much. I have vowed to NEVER play the type of games I get addicted to again (mmorpg's and RTS's)

I have NEVER had this problem with poker, 2+2, or anything else for that matter. Which I find weird considering I have been playing poker, and visiting 2+2 since the day it went live.

I'm not quite sure what happened to me on the day I quit. I was just sick of the detrimental affect it was having, and something snapped.

In your case, I think making "vows" to schedule in your 2+2 time is a good idea. HOWEVER, I would first start off with a 3 day break of no reading/posting on 2+2. I would also replace that time with some positive habit. (like working)
The 3days is to break the mental "addiction" part. It may take a couple weeks to actually replace a bad habit with a good one.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Countless debates and arguments about bloody poker may be a substitution and replacement for more regular meaningful social interactions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is this not considered "meaningful social interaction"? Is it because its not face-to-face? ? Will he get the same type of "meaningful social interaction" if he limits his talks to just the wife, the family and the grocer?

No, he comes here because he can meet people that know where he's coming from and experience the same "life moments" that he does. This is invaluable for mental health, at least for me. I dont see anything wrong with it unless its causing family strife.

However the fact that MicroBob mentions timing out while playing a hand because of reading the boards hint at not taking his poker sessions seriously enough. There's no satisfying excuse for not paying enough attention if your aim is to perform at your peak.
Old 03-04-2006, 04:14 AM

I'm addicted.
Old 03-04-2006, 04:47 AM

If I spent as much time playing poker as I do reading 2+2 i'd have twice my bankroll [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I tell myself each day to play, not read... then I just get home from class and first thing I do to relax is open up 2+2 :|
Old 03-06-2006, 05:35 PM

I'm sure you realise the irony of talking about being addicted to 2+2 on 2+2.