Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2007, 12:12 PM

Default Re: What were/are your leaks?

Cold calling...
Not calculating all of your potential outs
Not calculating odds to call
Not adjusting to your opponents
Playing too passively
Calling when I should be raising
Not using position to full advantage
Old 07-08-2007, 01:28 PM

Good thread, might spark some ideas as what to work on.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:02 PM

When I first started cash games online I was way too loose, like 46/23 loose (still profitable though [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]). I was also open limping :shame:. And I had trouble value betting. Turn and river play is much rarer in tourneys, which I used to play, so that all had to be worked on.

Anyway, that's all been fixed but I still have problems playing when I'm not the preflop raiser. I'm also trying to incorporate a bit more check raising and bluffing now that I've moved up to 100nl; doing that at micro stakes would have been suicide of course.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:23 PM

Possibly my worst fault is lack of concentration, which has seen me get stacked by sets and overpairs numerous times,twice while on the telephone.

For any newbie reading for god's sake get rid of any distractions,if you can't, DON'T PLAY

It will save you a fortune in the long run.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:46 PM

Kind if tough to point out leaks when you don't stipulate what game you play.

When I was playing limit, I spewed off a ton of chips cold calling raises PF with SCs. Once I stoped doing that, my win rate became much more consistant.

When I switched to NL, I started cold calling raises all day with SCs provided the implied odds were good. I make money, but not much. I didn't understand why, since the rule of 5 $ 10 said this was suppose to be profitable.

Well, someone explained to me that I was misunderstanding the Rule of 5 & 10, and you're only suppose to apply that rule when you have position.

Ding! Light went on! SCs are a consistant winner for me in NL cash games now. I still cold call, but only when I have position.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:50 PM

playing to many hands is the biggy imo. understanding that big hands preflop can suddenly become worthless postflop and knowing how to make big laydowns is very important.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:04 PM

I see a lot of the leaks that I used to have and still have. Agression being the foremost I think and playing to many hands. My stats at Bodog say I see 37% of the flops. I win 51% of show downs and my win rate % if flop seen is 40% and this on 16,78o hands. That is kind of loose isn't it? How do work on no being so passive after the flop and choosing the correct pre flop play?
Old 07-08-2007, 10:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I see a lot of the leaks that I used to have and still have. Agression being the foremost I think and playing to many hands. My stats at Bodog say I see 37% of the flops. I win 51% of show downs and my win rate % if flop seen is 40% and this on 16,78o hands. That is kind of loose isn't it? How do work on no being so passive after the flop and choosing the correct pre flop play?

[/ QUOTE ]

37% of flops is too much, any idea what your VPIP is? Winning 51% of showdowns is fine.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:21 PM

My single biggest leak currently is developing the patience to deal with a LAG bully. Typically yesterday, there was a villain at our table who raised ~30% of the pots. Early on, she barely survived a pot against me--she called all-in when I had a set, but managed to suck out a back-door flush. Over the next half hour, she twice eliminated all-in callers with very lucky river cards.

My blood pressure slowly rose witnessing this, until I foolishly decided to go all-in with K9o from the button after she raised for the nth time in a row from EP. Naturally, she had TT and took me out.

One of the very first things I read about NLHE is that it's entirely a game of patience, position and power--and I still can't master the first one!!!
Old 07-08-2007, 10:24 PM

I don't because I don't have that software