Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2007, 02:24 PM

Default NLCASH - 3bet or call?

So, this player is unknown and its about 10-15 hands into the game, nothing special has happened so far basically we've been raising OTB and the other has folded a couple of times.

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.50/$1 Blinds - 2 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

BB: $100.00
Hero (SB): $100.00

Preflop: Hero is dealt 8 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero raises to $3.00</font>, BB calls $2.00

Flop: ($6) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 (2 Players)
BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $4.00</font>, <font color="red">BB raises to $13.00</font>

On a rainbow board I think this is a pretty good spot for a call but I'm not sure here. I think a decent amount of his range here is total air/overcards. So many ugly turn cards to come though if he actually has a decent hand.
If I 3bet him here my hand will def look like an overpair dont you agree? So whats the best move vs his range?
Old 07-08-2007, 03:07 PM

Default Re: NLCASH - 3bet or call?

Raise to 35ish so that you can either push turn or get him to come over the top of you allin on flop
Old 07-08-2007, 03:23 PM

you are fairly deep so I would favor a 3bet here, simple as that.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:15 PM

Ok thanks, I did in fact raise to $35 and he tanked+folded. But I think its the best line here vs whatever he might have.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:40 PM

Hands like this are part of the reason I increased my standard c-bet to 5/6ths the pot.

I call flop here and shove almost all non-heart turns for 1 buy-in. We have position, let him bet out on the turn. You are giving him 1 card with the promise of a bet on almost all turns.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:49 PM

But even a call from me here indicates some strenght and since its early in the match dont you think a lot of people would give up with air on the turn if he doesn't pair up and just c/f? What am I getting value from if the turn bricks that he would fold on the flop? TP? And FWIW I think TP is a smaller part of his C/R range compared to {air,sets,tp+draw,two pair} all of which he won't fold (except air obv)

I mean basically I don't like seeing a 3,4,5,6,7,heart turn.

Also what would be your plan if you just called and the turn was a heart?
Old 07-08-2007, 07:33 PM

The reason you'd call flop and CRAI on the turn would be specifically for combo draws. It is the most profitable defense for them. Also, if he has overs + FD there are a lot of cards he will call an AI with on the turn that you obviously have crushed.

Figure in that opponents are more likely to bluff at lowball flops ("He can't have anything, I raise") it's best to get another street worth of value.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:11 PM

I think you get more value out of his whole range with a 3bet. In general draws are looking to get it in on the flop when they have more equity, and a 3bet will rep a draw for you as well. This will make him more comfortable getting allin with set/2pair maybe even top pair and pair/draw type hands.

There are turn cards that kill your action against a decent part of his range.

The biggest part of his range that you may get more value out of by just calling the flop is air, and that relies on him not giving up, which is fairly likely.