Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2007, 06:01 PM

Default Re: Ask a music scene micro celebrity

[ QUOTE ]
hey,

you mentioned philip glass and gorecki as some of your favorite composers - what in particular do you enjoy most by them?

[/ QUOTE ]
Gorecki for me is always personified by Op36 Symphony of Eleven Sorrowful Songs, but I heard a radio broadcast of Op44 Miserere which was totally spellbinding, and I have it on my to-get list. Glass, I like the Tomato volume of Dances 1-3 and I have a fantastic Italian boxed-set version of Einstein on the Beach which is one of the best vinyl pressings of his music I've heard. I'll admit to not being too into his later operas, but his film-and-music collaborations have been amazing.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why don't you nerds quit complaining about people like me coming here to register just to post one time.

My question is: why does monkey trick sound so different from the rest of Goat?

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, it sounds different because the snare drum is damped and the room ambience is closer. Also, you're a little prick.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why don't you nerds quit complaining about people like me coming here to register just to post one time.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is funny.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
hey,

you mentioned philip glass and gorecki as some of your favorite composers - what in particular do you enjoy most by them?

[/ QUOTE ]
Gorecki for me is always personified by Op36 Symphony of Eleven Sorrowful Songs, but I heard a radio broadcast of Op44 Miserere which was totally spellbinding, and I have it on my to-get list. Glass, I like the Tomato volume of Dances 1-3 and I have a fantastic Italian boxed-set version of Einstein on the Beach which is one of the best vinyl pressings of his music I've heard. I'll admit to not being too into his later operas, but his film-and-music collaborations have been amazing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Miserere is phenomenal - I honestly think it is better than Sorrowful Songs, and I am not ever a fan of a capella work in any genre.

As for Glass, I agree there too - have you heard many of the 'new' recordings of his - i.e. the Nonesuch re-recording of Einstein on the Beach? They seem to take a lot of the life out of them in favor of a fuller, more balanced sound - all the tinny Farfisa organs seem to be gone, and the most interesting elements are shoved to the background. Since you actually know something about these things, I'm curious what you think of the older, rawer sounding Glass - and also whether it's honestly better on vinyl, since I'm not a vinyl guy at all.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:19 PM

is it true thaty kurt cobain didnt really exist and it just an elaborate consipracy by the far right to get them to kill them selves so the right could become more powerful?

cos im not sure i believe this, but ive heard it from pretty reliable sources
Old 07-08-2007, 07:24 PM

hi electrical,

let's say if i think im a pretty good producer, programmer and sound designer (for a 26 year old) .. how would i be best to go about finding management or someone to help me obtain and negotiate professional work.

thanks for your time.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Well, it sounds different because the snare drum is damped and the room ambience is closer. Also, you're a little prick.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I didn't mean to be so rude. It was just annoying to me that everyone was complaining about that.

Was that a choice made beforehand for that song or did it happen while the session was happening? Damn great song, probably my favorite.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:54 PM

G7 Welcoming Committee in Canada recently decided to stop pressing music onto a physical disc and release everything strictly as digital downloads. Do you think that this will catch on and become the norm for independent labels?
Old 07-08-2007, 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
let's say if i think im a pretty good producer, programmer and sound designer (for a 26 year old) .. how would i be best to go about finding management or someone to help me obtain and negotiate professional work.

[/ QUOTE ]
I do not have a manager, I have never needed one, and I don't recommend them.

In this business, except for generic dollars-an-hour hack work (where you, rather than somebody else, records 100 iterations of the word "stop" for a talking traffic cop doll), an engineer doesn't find work, the work finds him. People use you for a session because they specifically think you will do a good job, and for them to think that, you need to develop a working clientele who will say your name out loud.

I can only advise you in the manner that I eventually became a full-time engineer. You should start by hanging out with people whose music you understand, and who think like you do. Make yourself available to them, and those people will let you help them make recordings.

First you work for free, then they cover your expenses, and eventually you will become valuable to a peer group who also compose your client base. Through word of mouth, your work will eventually become worth something (in real money terms) to them, and they will pay you what they can afford.

The time lapsed between the first free demos I recorded for bands and the moment I could afford to quit my straight job and work in recording full-time was about 8 years. I don't see how I could have done it faster.

You can also just wait for somebody to throw gigs at your feet. Good luck with that.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
G7 Welcoming Committee in Canada recently decided to stop pressing music onto a physical disc and release everything strictly as digital downloads. Do you think that this will catch on and become the norm for independent labels?

[/ QUOTE ]
This then puts the label on exactly the same terms as a novice band with nothing but a demo and a Myspace page. If I were a band faced with the choice of a label who would sell nothing but downloads and selling those self-same downloads myself (and keeping all the money), I'd have no use for the label.