Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2007, 04:51 AM

Default What do you think about ?

Hi gamblers,

its time for a new post about my career as a poker player. Let me tell you something about me. I play since 1,5 yeahrs online poker but without big profits. But i feel that my game has improved so much, that i am able to play any two cards against opponents. Especially live! (Because opponents are easyer to read and I know almost exactly what they held in their hand)

I observed and talked to players about the luckaspect in poker. I mean the bad beat stories like runner runner straight or hit the miracle card. I liked to be sucked out because i know that I was the favorite in that hand and like playing against the lucky guy. But here is the problem, I play cashgames NL2/NL5/NL10 SNG etc. I keep playing like a rock, I have a Preflopquote of 11% and play very aggressive. And after some sessions I have so enorm winnings that I see that I can move up in the limit, but try everytime to come down and play MY kind of game. But here is the problem, After several winning sessions I got really hard bad beats, Plus some bad decission from my side I would say 2 in 12 sessions. So my bankroll gets smaller, build it up again to the old level and get sucked out again. Some players told me, that they have the same problems and lose constantly there bankroll against such player. I would say that put they on tilt and they throw bad money in after the suck out. They tell me more, that they hate it, that no player "RESPECT" there Preflopraises! I mean come on I like it when I have a stupid caller or three or five with T4o against my KK. But its hard when the have succes and I get still sucked out or hit trips on the flop!

so please tell me what do you think about the luckaspect in poker ? and how can I put these aspect in my game to become a better player ?
Old 07-08-2007, 07:17 AM

Default Re: What do you think about ?

The best hand holding up is about 50 50 so try and get it in behind about 50% of the time.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:56 AM

I think you are either way out there ahead of me or just way out there somewhere.

For me, preflop hand selection is the most elementary amd the most critical key to winning at poker. Certainly adjust your ranges to the reads you have on the opponents and the table. Certainly have your ranges by position. Yes you can lose with even perfect hand selection by ineffective post flop play and/or just by variance. Yes you have to "mix it up" just a little in tough games to blur your opponents reads, but don't overdo it. But, to me, the most fundamental building block to a winning game is preflop hand selection.

If your opponents are drawing -EV against your well selected hands. They will lose.

If you consistently play with too wide of a hand selection (loose) you will lose.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you are either way out there ahead of me or just way out there somewhere.

For me, preflop hand selection is the most elementary amd the most critical key to winning at poker. Certainly adjust your ranges to the reads you have on the opponents and the table. Certainly have your ranges by position. Yes you can lose with even perfect hand selection by ineffective post flop play and/or just by variance. Yes you have to "mix it up" just a little in tough games to blur your opponents reads, but don't overdo it. But, to me, the most fundamental building block to a winning game is preflop hand selection.

If your opponents are drawing -EV against your well selected hands. They will lose.

If you consistently play with too wide of a hand selection (loose) you will lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

DONT GET ME WRONG!

I play always the opposite strategy at the table. I am loose when the table is thight and tighten up when they are loose. I am not a donk who plays 80 percent of his hands and wonders why he lost. But somtimes I make a play at someone and go as the winner out of it !
Old 07-08-2007, 12:42 PM

get a copy of "NO LIMIT HOLDEM, THEORY AND PRACTICE". it discusses in depth the situations/problems you described.it will definatly help if you grasp the concepts in the book. also, every poker player in the world(professional or amatuer) has to deal with varience.the better players are able to accept it.