Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Puzzles and Other Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2007, 04:26 PM

Default Re: How many F\'s do you count on the following passage?

[ QUOTE ]
I wonder if it would be as easy to miss it on paper as it is on a computer screen?

That's a pretty common phenomenon when it comes to proofreading newspaper pages ... you read everything on the computer and think you caught everything, then you print the page out and all of a sudden you catch like a dozen typos.

(Then you send it to the pressroom, they print a negative, you catch a half dozen more things that need corrected, wasting a negative, and the next day the higher-ups chew your ass out for "wasting money." Typical.)

[/ QUOTE ]

This particular "puzzle" is generally just as effective on paper - I've seen it printed on cards the size of a business card, for example. The basic issue is that people tend to scan for the Fs and end up reading the words and looking for fff sounds instead of vvv sounds in "of".

One way to combat this is to scan the text backwards looking for "F"s - it's easier to see them all that way.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I wonder if it would be as easy to miss it on paper as it is on a computer screen?

That's a pretty common phenomenon when it comes to proofreading newspaper pages ... you read everything on the computer and think you caught everything, then you print the page out and all of a sudden you catch like a dozen typos.

(Then you send it to the pressroom, they print a negative, you catch a half dozen more things that need corrected, wasting a negative, and the next day the higher-ups chew your ass out for "wasting money." Typical.)

[/ QUOTE ]

This particular "puzzle" is generally just as effective on paper - I've seen it printed on cards the size of a business card, for example. The basic issue is that people tend to scan for the Fs and end up reading the words and looking for fff sounds instead of vvv sounds in "of".

One way to combat this is to scan the text backwards looking for "F"s - it's easier to see them all that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I loved Luckay's method of solving this, even though it was a little angleshotish...
Old 07-08-2007, 11:09 AM

but there's only one effin' POG.

amirite?