Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2006, 12:25 PM

Default Re: Scott Fischman rumor

[ QUOTE ]
LASTLY...SING A FREAKING CONTRACT?!??!?!

[/ QUOTE ]

No, that would be an oral contract. I would reccommend a signed written contract.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
LASTLY...SING A FREAKING CONTRACT?!??!?!

[/ QUOTE ]

No, that would be an oral contract. I would reccommend a signed written contract.

[/ QUOTE ]

"See that boat? They're rebroadcasting major league baseball games with implied oral consent, not expressed written consent, or so the legend goes."
Old 03-03-2006, 01:21 PM

Location: My Avatar is Cursed for my Teams. Please don\'t curse my burger.

[ QUOTE ]
Ed (NPA),

This stuff is very interesting to me. Thanks for taking the time to do the sim. If u could ever bug check it and perfect it there is probably a need in the market right now for this kind of work, the biggest intrest I think is being able to plug in variables and ROI's. I appreciate your style Ed that u come in with opinions but instead of just sticking to them without stone-cold facts, you actually test your hypothesis. Very refreshing, good work.

All,

I dont understand this "if the horse stays with the backer stuff". Isnt the basis of all these deals with make-up that the horse will stay with the backer until the backer lets the horse go? Without that part of the deal backers are getting extremely screwed.

If this is what the player in question has done here (we have far from enough facts to assume that) then this is in my opinion much worse that what ZeeJustin did. I almost would like to assume this is not what happened, and if it turns out this did happen then the poker community should not let those at fault get away with it.

LASTLY...SIGN A FREAKING CONTRACT?!??!?!

[/ QUOTE ]

That was a right-pretty speech, sir. But I ask you, what is a contract? Webster's defines it as "an agreement under the law which is unbreakable." UNBREAKABLE.

Old 03-03-2006, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This stuff is very interesting to me. Thanks for taking the time to do the sim. If u could ever bug check it and perfect it there is probably a need in the market right now for this kind of work, the biggest intrest I think is being able to plug in variables and ROI's.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're definitely right. This is an easy project for anyone with even marginal programming skills, and it's also valuable.

I did notice that I said something that isn't really quite right. I said that flatter pay structures are better for the backer. That is true to an extent... flat structures reduce the horse's variance, and it's the variance that can put backer in a bad spot. But make the structure too flat, and the horse loses base ROI. (In the extreme, everyone's ROI would be zero in a 1000 player tournament that paid 1000 places - every place their buyin back.)

Basically, the flatter pay structures = better comment holds as long as the prizes look "far out" for much of the tournament and as long as the assumption that every prize is equally likely also holds.

FWIW, backers should "prefer" horses that achieve their ROI by improving their chances at every prize rather than those that seek either to crash and burn or win a top prize. For the same base ROI, the "crash and burn" strategy has a higher variance.

[ QUOTE ]
I appreciate your style Ed that u come in with opinions but instead of just sticking to them without stone-cold facts, you actually test your hypothesis. Very refreshing, good work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Keepin it real since 2001.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:44 PM

isn't your 'equally likely to place in any spot' hypothesis pretty flawed? i was under the impression that mtt finishes were fairly flat through the first half to 2/3rds of places, spiking around the bubble and flattening out again near the end?

does anyone have any signifigant research on this?
Old 03-03-2006, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If this is what the player in question has done here (we have far from enough facts to assume that) then this is in my opinion much worse that what ZeeJustin did. I almost would like to assume this is not what happened, and if it turns out this did happen then the poker community should not let those at fault get away with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
isn't your 'equally likely to place in any spot' hypothesis pretty flawed? i was under the impression that mtt finishes were fairly flat through the first half to 2/3rds of places, spiking around the bubble and flattening out again near the end?

does anyone have any signifigant research on this?

[/ QUOTE ]

To the extent that this is true for one player, it necessarily has to be false to the same degree for another player because the overall distribution is uniform.

It's certainly possible (maybe even likely) that the typical winning player has the distribution you describe, although the varying degrees to which one can be a winning player and the variety of styles that can lead to a positive ROI probably make generalizing about the "typical winning player" less valuable than looking at individual profiles, none of which are likely to have sufficient sample size to back whatever claim you might want to make about a player's long-term distribution.

Variance is a bitch to study, too.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:23 PM

right, i should have stipulated for a winning player. a losing player is obviously going to be more likely to bust early in the tournament than late. they're also less likely to bust on or near the bubble since they'd usually prefer to sneak up in places than go for the win.

is there a way to get summaries for all the 180/20s that have run on stars? i think they'd be ideal for study given their standard format, their repeat entries and the sheer volume that have run.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:48 PM

this is obviously true. thunder should not have lost all that weight because the condition he is in now scott could probably take him if it came down to that.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:08 PM

I'm sorry Scott, if there was an oral agreement, that is a binding agreement, in any court of law. If this is true, if I was Thunder Keller I'd haul his ass into court and sue him. It doesn't look too good that he tells Shaniac, he fires his backer. Sounds like he is trying to come off like a bigshot, how do you FIRE your employer? roflmao If Gigabet didn't pay Scott on prop bets, this makes me feel less sorry for Scott, a real douchebag move.