Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2007, 01:30 AM

Default Couple Laptop spec questions

buying a laptop, had a couple questions before I pay for stuff I may not need...

1.) Graphics Card.. If I don't play any games, is the integrated graphics card fine for daily stuff? I'm not gonna do much multimedia, just watch movies, upload pics from webcam, stuff like that.

2.) Screen resolution.. one, does it matter what the resolution is for poker if the site you play at has resizeable tables? Can I 4-table on a 1440X900 resizing the tables or will it be hard to see? What else does resolution affect? Will I notice a difference when playing movies and such? I'm getting a dell most likely, do you think +100 to get a 1680X1050 is worth it?

Thanks, and sorry if this has been asked before
Old 07-08-2007, 01:40 AM

Default Re: Couple Laptop spec questions

1) If you plan on running Vista in the future, integrated graphics probably won't allow you to see the "Pretty" Aero Glass interface they designed for it.

2) I always want more resolution. Resolution basically allows you to fit more on the screen (more screen real estate). If you're resizing tables to fit a 1440x900 screen that is the same physical size as a 1680x1050 screen, the tables are going to look about the same size wise.

Movies (DVDs) will be pretty much unaffected.

If it were me, I'd spring for both the dedicated video card and the higher resolution screen. Generally you won't change these things for the life of a laptop.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:42 AM

Default Re: Couple Laptop spec questions

[ QUOTE ]
buying a laptop, had a couple questions before I pay for stuff I may not need...

1.) Graphics Card.. If I don't play any games, is the integrated graphics card fine for daily stuff? I'm not gonna do much multimedia, just watch movies, upload pics from webcam, stuff like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're not going to do anything that requires a beefy graphics card getting one is kindof pointless. Integrated is just fine.

[ QUOTE ]
2.) Screen resolution.. one, does it matter what the resolution is for poker if the site you play at has resizeable tables? Can I 4-table on a 1440X900 resizing the tables or will it be hard to see? What else does resolution affect? Will I notice a difference when playing movies and such? I'm getting a dell most likely, do you think +100 to get a 1680X1050 is worth it?

[/ QUOTE ]

With widescreen formats like the two mentioned some people have issues because the tables don't fill the screen horizontally. Also some people don't like resizing tables either... I gather you're not one of them ;0) As for whether the upgrade is worth it; heck if I know. I'm too cheap to even buy myself an LCD.