Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2006, 11:27 AM

Default Tells

I figured it might be fun to compile a list of any and all tells people might be aware of. I'll throw a few in to start (like the first coins into the tip jar), and we'll go from there.

<font color="blue">Strong hand</font> -- When a player looks at his pocket cards and then briefly glances at his chip stack.

<font color="blue">Strong hand</font> -- When a player seems to hesitate a very long time and then goes all-in.

<font color="blue">Strong hand</font> -- When a player who always continuation-bets after the flop checks instead, and the flop is something like A A K.

<font color="gray">Weak hand</font> -- When a player breathes heavily after a big bet.

<font color="gray">Weak hand</font> -- When a player looks at his pocket cards before his turn, then keeps them in his hand for a quicker fold when the action is to him.

Keep 'em coming !
Old 03-03-2006, 11:54 AM

Default Re: Tells

[ QUOTE ]

<font color="gray">Weak hand</font> -- When a player breathes heavily after a big bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Completely not true.. Hope you don't rely on it. Heaving breathing/Increased Pulse is a solid gold tell for a sign of a person excited about their hand.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Completely not true.. Hope you don't rely on it. Heaving breathing/Increased Pulse is a solid gold tell for a sign of a person excited about their hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Case in point, I was playing in a live MTT last night. We're on the bubble, 1 away from the $$$. The ss is utg and desperate, looks at his hand and then takes a noticeable deep breath as he goes allin. It's folded to me in the sb and I have A9o. I ask him to count out how much he has left. I have shorty covered by about 3.5 to 1.

I really wanted to push, knowing that he was so desperate, but that deep breath showed strength to me, so I folded. After the bb folded, shorty showed his QQ.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Opposite, Heavy breathing is usually strong. Shallow breathing or appearing to even hold breath (trying so hard to be still to not attract attention) is weak.

Preflop - Check cards, call the blind, then check cards again. 90% no pair - 100% not suited.

River - Big bet then sit back in chair - has it.

If someone bets and is watching you intently, they have a good hand like top pair but are worried about being beat. They are intently watching you for signs to fold the hand.
On the other side, If someone makes a big bet and sits pokerfaced not looking at you, they dont care about what you are about to do. (could be bluffing, or could be very strong hoping for a call)

If you bet and they almost beat you in the pot. They didnt like the bet, they are trying to give you the message "Look at me Im strong, you better think twice about betting the turn"
This means a draw or weak hand like second pair. They will not stand up to alot of pressure.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If someone makes a big bet and sits pokerfaced not looking at you, they dont care about what you are about to do.

[/ QUOTE ] It seems usually when a player bets big and starts looking lazily around the room, they probably have nothing but are trying to appear apathetic. Conversely, when a player bets big and gives you the "mean face", they almost CERTAINLY have nothing, and are trying to prevent a call.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:53 PM

Tells in SSNL :

link
list that we came up with.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:50 PM

When a player sighs before he bets, it's a strong hand.

If you muck a strong hand face up and your opponent says with disgust "How could you fold that", you made an excellent fold.

When a player asks "Is it my turn to act" or "Can I raise"
It indicates strength
Old 03-03-2006, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Preflop - Check cards, call the blind, then check cards again. 90% no pair - 100% not suited.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, that's a good one. I've never read that before (doesn't say much) but I know I have been guilty of it.

I'd like to add the "drink" tell. If someone bets on a bluff or weak hand, and you're thinking long about a call... They are sitting still, feeling the pressure when they realize "Oh, crap. I'm being too still. I better act natural. Oh this stress is killing me" So they take a drink. I will call with less of a hand.
I don't have numbers on this, but it seams very reliable from my experience.
Old 03-06-2006, 06:26 PM

This is true. Actually, Mike Caro writes something named "Call anything that moves". He says if you make a big bet and after long deliberation, it looks like your opponent will fold, you should take a drink if you want a call. Suspicion should get the better of them, and they will call.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is true. Actually, Mike Caro writes something named "Call anything that moves". He says if you make a big bet and after long deliberation, it looks like your opponent will fold, you should take a drink if you want a call. Suspicion should get the better of them, and they will call.

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] lol Well, it hasn't backfired on me yet. One difference though, I wouldn't be "looking like I was going to fold" when I looked for them to drink. Good to know that a knowledgeable player might use this against me though... although that could be true for *any* tell.