Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2007, 01:48 AM

Default Re: Taking a shot at the 200NL, I encounter...

I dont think the turn AI is standard at all.

But yeah, just to clarify, turn check isn't for pot control. It's for deception (right?).
Old 07-07-2007, 01:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bilbo -

I agree that if you want to fold this hand, you should just fold preflop. I do believe that folding preflop isn't that bad - villain is a total unknown and it's the 1st orbit. Even if he has a worse hand, you're generally going to win a smallish/medium pot or get stacked if you end up all in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also agree that folding is a perfectly fine play, but saying that we have to stack off every time we flop an A is just soooo wrong.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

But yeah, just to clarify, turn check isn't for pot control. It's for deception (right?).

[/ QUOTE ]

Our hand is pretty face up IMO.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Our hand is pretty face up IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

So are you implying you never get paid off by a worse hand, even if you check the turn?
Old 07-07-2007, 01:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bilbo -

I agree that if you want to fold this hand, you should just fold preflop. I do believe that folding preflop isn't that bad - villain is a total unknown and it's the 1st orbit. Even if he has a worse hand, you're generally going to win a smallish/medium pot or get stacked if you end up all in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also agree that folding is a perfectly fine play, but saying that we have to stack off every time we flop an A is just soooo wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

In a 3-bet pot with only 100BB's behind, it's going to be pretty damn hard to get away unless the board is something disgusting like AJKT on the turn.....

Think about it in a standard 1/2 game

MP opens for 7 and is RR by the button to 24

MP calls, so now our pot with the blinds is 51 with 170 and some change behind...we flop an A we are betting this pretty much always, which commits roughly 1/2 or stack, which means monies are going in on the turn, or the villain folds.....

Anything else and you are playin really bad pokah(of course everything is relative, and if you have a decent read on a player, you can get away from certain hands. But against a general unknown/fish you get the money in with a decent A in a 3-bet pot)
Old 07-07-2007, 02:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

In a 3-bet pot with only 100BB's behind, it's going to be pretty damn hard to get away unless the board is something disgusting like AJKT on the turn.....

[/ QUOTE ]

You realize we'd have the nuts there right? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

And I agree we have to be stacking off on *most* A/Q high flops, but this just isn't one of them IMO. There are like 3494545 combinations of 2pair/sets that have us crushed..and KK/QQ just isn't paying off often enough to make this turn shove profitable.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:40 AM

I think that being able to get away from AQ/AK on these boards was one of the big adjustments that I made when moving from NL100 to NL200.

In NL100, you see enough stubborn KKs (or idiot bluffs) to make pushing profitable. But NL200 has enough thinking players that it's rare to get it in with top pair here and still be good.

I'd probably fold PF, and definitely check behind
Old 07-07-2007, 03:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What's your point? Tons of players will call the turn with all of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you nuts? Even the biggest droolers sometimes get away from QQ/KK after getting called on an A-J-x flop. Most 200NL players aren't great, but they aren't [censored] retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just stupid.

By your logic you should be floating every RR pot with an A and pushing the turn if they check to you.

After all, only RETARDED people call here with KK, right?

Lol.
Old 07-07-2007, 03:46 AM

bilbo im not sure if anyone else has pointed this out but AQ kinda sucks here, obv call flop and turn is a check, but stacking off is not a must against an unknown (although i probably still will because im a cs [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]). I'm not saying fold all A high boards but AJT? That's the worst board with an A on it for you
Old 07-07-2007, 03:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that being able to get away from AQ/AK on these boards was one of the big adjustments that I made when moving from NL100 to NL200.

In NL100, you see enough stubborn KKs (or idiot bluffs) to make pushing profitable. But NL200 has enough thinking players that it's rare to get it in with top pair here and still be good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't agree more. A year ago shoving might have been +EV...but it just seems like you rarely get called w/ worse in these types of spots anymore.