Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2007, 12:08 AM

Default Fold Nut Str8 On Flop?

Not the best at Omaha, but I deposited $20 on Bodog May 12 and it was $873 beginning today playing .10/ .25 PLO. My question is if you flop nut str8, I bet pot and then get raised to all in, do you fold? I've been calling and today have been killed. All day today, I have been getting my str8's and trips killed by flushes.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:27 AM

Default Re: Fold Nut Str8 On Flop?

It's not an auto fold as described. A lot depends on how deep villain is relative to the pot, whether there's a flush draw on the board, if you have a hand like 78 on a 69T board (i.e. lots of ways your opponent can make a better straight), how many people are pushing in, and (most of all) how many re-draws/blockers you have.

Auto-fold is more like this...

You flop a naked nut straight in a limped pot on a 2 tone board. You lead, get called, raised, then re-raised before it comes back to you.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:41 AM

Sorry left out important detail, 2 clubs on board. Basically I have 7 9, and flop is 5 6 8 with 2 clubs. I bet pot $19 dollars and re-raised to all in. (he had a a with nut flush draw)
Old 07-07-2007, 01:04 AM

Strictly speaking, this still isn't enough information. How many people saw the flop, was it raised, is villain the pre-flop raiser, is anyone still in the pot, how big was his all-in raise (all-in doesn't say much, it could be $1 to $60+), etc.

If only you and villain saw the flop, this is an insta-call every single time.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:35 AM

Silent A is right, more information is needed (and is always better).

Just from reading the thread though, theres no way I'm flopping the nuts and folding at these limits...ON BODOG none the less.

The only time I would be worried about getting it all in with the nuts on the flop would be if the villian and I were deepstacked and it was obvious to you that he had the same nut hand and that you have no redraw. ie 568 flop with two clubs and you both are aware the other has the 79. But if he has 79TJ with two clubs you're in bad shape, but obv can't know that. Then if you lead out and get repopped by another deepstack player, who is tight, so you can put him on the same hand (and hopefully no redraw, but can't be sure)...just call the reraise and see a safe turn. No harm in that and if the turn blanks then go from there.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My question is if you flop nut str8, I bet pot and then get raised to all in, do you fold? I've been calling and today have been killed. All day today, I have been getting my str8's and trips killed by flushes.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it is only one raise to all in then the answer is no. The money is not deep enough to even consider folding. Getting outdrawn is part of the game.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:34 PM

I would never fold the nuts HU...
Old 07-07-2007, 01:20 PM

Thanks for the responses. I called and a club hit on the turn to give him nut flush. This is the $25 max buy in tables and he took a pot of around $56. I'm just frustrated this weekend. I am just on one of those swings where everybody hits all their draws on me.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:39 PM

Its an easy fold if you lead out with the flopped nuts (no redraw) and get allin action from 2 or more players. even with no flush draw on the flop, if you have only 3-4BB invested there is no reason to gamble for the split pot unless your opponents are incredibly live. going broke in a nothing pot is about the biggest mistake in poker. its almost a good fold just accounting for rake thats about to come your way if you have little invested.

in that same case with 2 to a flush, i cant wait to fold. HU situations are a bit more complicated and are completely up to you the player.