Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2007, 03:09 PM

Default Re: playing aces :3 options tell me which and why you choose

One of the reasons I can shift to lag gear all of a sudden is because of 3-bet jammers who overplay their damn Aces and AK.

If you jam, you are making a smart player fold or call. If you call, you're making a smart player CBet almost all flops, and possibly promote a bad squeeze behind you.

One of these garuntees more money in the pot more often.

If you 3bet light, this is different. I don't like to 3bet light because...well damn they'll call anything and push over me and give me odds to call and flip up K9s and whatnot....I typically will only 3bet with JJ-QQ AQ+ because I really want to isolate to HU with these hands.

I'm *not* afraid of a 3-way pot with AA. You still have the nuts, it still wins something like 80% of the time...if you have to jam over a CBet due to effective stacks, then do it...it's still more money than "hoping" you'll get called...
Old 07-06-2007, 04:07 PM

With these stacks I think I call in this spot almost every time for the reasons stated above (probable c-bet ATF or hopeful PF squeeze behind). If I'm a little deeper, the table has been playing loose, and I've been 3-betting a decent amount recently - then I might re-raise here. Also, if I know the original raiser is likely to call a jam (due to my image and his tendencies) then I might jam here. I guess that's my way of saying 'it depends'. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 07-06-2007, 06:51 PM

I shove this add 20% to my stack at a minimum and move to the next hand. I'm borderline considering flat calling FPS. I'm not overly happy if SB and BB came along now being given odds to do so. With their stacks, one if not both will be tempted.

It seems that alot of people are looking at the button as possible overlay here. I would think that with a raise and a call in front he is not pushing without a premium hand. Furthermore, his stack size is of no real significance to me with this hand. I'm more interested in making the blinds pay to come along.

Isn't it likely that the orginal raiser has a hand and is possibly calling our push being that his raise is from EP?
Old 07-06-2007, 08:57 PM

ok here is my opinion for what its worth:
i like a shove why? because his early position raise means strength. im representing ace king and should get a call from his range 99-kk ak. this gets the most money in the pot w least chance for suk out

why i don't like a call: it invites just the hands that crack aces implied odds to play. a squeeze is unlikely bc of the position of raise and call had mp + 1 raised and im co then id call hoping big stack or ss makes a move and bc my shove isn't as likely to be called.

i made the mini reraise to 1150. it gives away my hand and gives opponent exit plan. as it turns out he had 99 flopped a gut shot shoved i called he sucked out. the gut shot had overs not unders so it was horrid play by him but eh
Old 07-06-2007, 09:09 PM

the safe play is to always reraise enough to keep him interested. jamming is dumb because the chances of being called arent good enough. Calling in position is usually pretty ideal because of the squeeze play that another poster mentioned, and youre almost guaranteed to get a continuation bet on the flop from the original raiser. then you can raise or jam and maybe get some action if he flopped top pair or something to that effect
Old 07-06-2007, 09:13 PM

or what about raising the minimum so it appears that youre just hoping to close off the action and be heads up with maybe i smaller pair or AK or something. which i guess is what youre trying to do anyways. If I had a loose table image and pushed a few hands pre flop before, shoving with Aces is definitely an option especially against a loose player who's known to pay off big hands