Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2007, 05:05 PM

Default PS $3.40, not getting full value early

This post has two hands, but the theme is the same. I'm not sure I'm getting full value out of strong holdings.

This first hand is the very first hand of the tournament.

Bystander1: 1490+10
Bystander2: 1580+20
Bystander3: 1500
Bystander4: 1500
Villain#01: 1500
Bystander5: 1500
Bystander6: 1500
Villain#02: 1500
Bystander7: 1500
HeroButton: 1500
-------------------
Hero has A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
2 folds, Villain#01 raises 60 to 80 (from UTG+2)
4 folds, Hero smooth-calls 80
Blinds fold. Heads up, 190 in the pot.
-------------------
*** FLOP *** [T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]]
Villain#01 bets 60, Hero calls 60. Heads up, 310 in the pot.
-------------------
*** TURN *** [T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]] [A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]]
Villain#01 bets 80, Hero calls 80. Heads up, 470 in the pot.
-------------------
*** RIVER *** [T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]] [J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]
Villain#01 bets 100, Hero calls 100. Heads up, 670 in the pot.

Re-raising to 300 pre-flop is invitation to all-in at this buy-in level. In another post, someone suggested "sharkscoping and shoveling the chips in against a losing player". Do people like the smooth-call, disguising my hand?

Is calling the flop bet just asking for reverse domination?

Readless, is that J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] enough of a scare card to keep me from raising?

----------------------------------------------
The next hand is just three hands later. Nobody's done anything noticable or outlandish.

Bystander4: 1470+10
Villain#01: 1160+20
Bystander5: 1590
Bystander6: 1440
Villain#02: 1120
Bystander7: 1500
HeroIsMP#2: 1850
Bystander1: 1900
Bystander2: 1470
Bystander3: 1470
-------------------
Hero has 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7d:
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, Villain#02 calls, MP#1 calls, Hero calls, 3 folds, SB folds, Villain#01 checks. 5 to the flop, 110 in the pot.
-------------------
*** FLOP *** [J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]
Villain#01 bets 20, UTG+1 folds, Villain#02 raises to 80, MP#1 folds, Hero smooth-calls 80, Villain#01 calls. 3 to the flop, 350 in the pot.
-------------------
*** TURN *** [J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]] [Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]
Villain#01 checks, Villain#02 bets 60, Hero smooth-calls again, Villain#01 folds. Heads-up, 470 in the pot.
-------------------
*** RIVER *** [J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]] [J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]]
Villain#02 bets 100, Hero raises to 300, Villain#02 calls. Heads-up, 1070 in the pot.

A year ago, I would've made an invitation-to-all-in raise somewhere. Recently I started thinking that that'd be a little too much force with the rod-and-reel, and I'd just induce a fold. Now I don't know what to think. My read on Villain#02 was "weak jack". How would you play this hand?

Just in case people were curious, Villain#01 had A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] on the first hand, and Villain#02 had J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] on the second.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:53 PM

Default Re: PS $3.40, not getting full value early

Sorry bud what does sharkscoping mean?
Old 07-06-2007, 06:15 PM

Yikes, where do we start...ok, hand 1. PF is fine, although I like a reraise. You'll probably get 50/50 reaction for calling vs. raising there. On the flop, you're slightly ahead of AQ, and behind a whole lot of other likely holdings (pp, AJ, AT, a set, etc..). 3 Q's are outs, but the Qc might make a flush, the 6 aces and kings are possibly outs, but might fill a straight. On the turn the A gave you TPTK, and also filled the straight draw for KQ. And the river gave AJ a boat. My point is that calling down was the best play here IMO, the flop call might have been a bit thin, but you're definately not throwing away TPTK on the turn and river. At the same time, that board is scary enough to make me glad to call it down cheap, not worry about extracting chips. Or maybe I'm a nit.

On the second hand, on the flop one of the villians probably has a J and thinks it's the stone cold nuts, so I'd stick in a nice raise and see what happens. The second villians raise is almost a lock for a J.

As played ditto the turn, because now by the river when villian catches trips, the pot will be big enough to get him all-in with our boat.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:28 PM

What is sharkscoping?

www.sharkscope.com is a site where you can look up online players' track records -- things like whether they tend to cash or not. You can get an idea about whether an opponent is a threat or a donk.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:44 PM

the fact that even though the all in on river would be an overbet of the pot , do it anyways , you`ll get called at this level , trips = nuts to most of them. but , im only doing it if my read is putting him on a J, which it is so push river...