Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2007, 10:05 AM

Default Foxwoods 10/20 -- Two Quick Scenarios: Scenario 1

Scenario 1 --

I pick up 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in the CO or HJ (don't remember).

5 limpers to me, I limp (probably in error, though that is another discussion). Darryl, one position later than me (button or CO) raises the field and everyone calls.

A little history on Darryl. I had been opening fairly liberally from late position, and a previous orbit he had 3-bet my CO open raise with JTs on the button (I had KTo); however, that was a heads-up pot. I think his raising range is much more by the book here given that the pot will be 7-handed. But, at any rate, he has creative tendencies in certain situations.

Flop: A A 4

Checks around to me, I check????, Darryl bets, folds around to me (extremely rare in this game), I call????

Turn: A

I check, he bets, I insta-muck.

I can't help feeling as if I completely butchered this hand -- comments appreciated [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-06-2007, 11:23 AM

Default Re: Foxwoods 10/20 -- Two Quick Scenarios: Scenario 1

[ QUOTE ]
I limp (probably in error, though that is another discussion)

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah I usually raise there too

rest of the hand looks ok. turn is a tough spot, I wouldn't bet the flop. you really beat very little of his range. the thing there's 15 bets in the pot and if you have a 2 outer (which is kind of a big part of his range) you're very often going to get two shots at it if I'm remembering this game right. tough river though, nh.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:32 AM

Bet the flop here. If he calls, follow through on the turn. When you check the flop, you give him control of the hand, and if he's competent he'll bet a wide range here in position and you won't know where you stand. As played, once everyone folds to you on the flop, you have to decide whether to fight for the pot or not. Is he capable of laying down a higher PP to you? If you think he is, then play aggressivly taking a line that would work best against him, either c-raising now or on the turn. (Was your plan to c-raise the turn but gave up when the bad Ace hit?)
At any rate, the pots big enough to make a play at it if you think you can get opponent to fold.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:48 AM

is darryl the type to bet into 6 ppl w/nothing?

i fold the turn.

i usually also raise PF, but limping isnt terrible.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:06 PM

If I am playing this hand on the flop I bet it. I would be inclined to check/fold here.

Darryl is a solid TAG player who can be tricky. He tends to sit to the left of people he respects. At least thats what I hope is true.

And though he rarely tells what he had on a prior hand I am kind of hoping he will make an appearance here to torture magicmcq a bit more.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:56 PM

Realistically, is he going to lay down a pp with 3 aces on the board?

My first thought was to c/r the turn. My second thought was "that's going to cost wou more money"
Old 07-06-2007, 02:08 PM

I think you played it fine that is a [censored] board for your hand, I would bet/fold the flop.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:39 PM

Well, this was not the flop you were looking for when you chose to play this hand. 3d4d hits the muck, 4d5d is marginal but playable under the right circumstances.

When you play a hand like this you do so with the intention of hitting the flop twice or picking up a draw. In this situation you have a choice once you check. If you think your opponent is FOS and capable of making a laydown(He must respect you obvioulsy) then I would call the flop and check-raise the turn. However, I think this is a high variance play and quite often your opponent is going to show a pocket pair better than yours. I would just fold on the flop here since it is likely your opponent will keep firing and put you in a tough position. Even if you have him currently beat he most likely has six outs to beat you anyway.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:36 PM

Hi Jay--

I saw this thread earlier, but did not have the time (motivation?) to respond; however, I will say this now:

I don't think your limp here is in error, especially in late position. This is a game where 7 geezers like to take flops. However, I think it helps to keep an eye on aggro preflop players' positions. For instance, I know if I limp when you have position on me it may get raised, so I am less likely to do the limp. You actually didn't have it that bad since so much dead money went in preflop.

Now on to the hand. I don't remember what exactly I had here. I think this is a hand (from yr perspective) that you are way ahead or way behind. Villain (me) in this case has the following range:

1.) Suited broadway connectors
2.) premium pocket pair
3.) medium pocket pair
4.) medium suited connectors

You may be able to add other stuff here, possibly off-suit broadway, low pocket pair, etc., but that is more unlikely given that we know how the FW 10 plays.

And here are the facts. Villain saw you limp, when he regularly sees you come in for raises... puts you on a multi-way hand. Villain shows preflop aggression, c-bets, and narrows the field to just you. This is benefits both of us; however, I think it benefits me more due to my position and momentum (in terms of aggression).

So like I said, you are ahead (at the moment) or way behind. Given that semi-bluffing is in both of our arsenals, you are screwed. I think this basically comes down to the semi-bluffing chapter in TOP.

You cannot feel good about this spot you are in and I think correct option is to fold. The only other option I see is to check raise the flop. Your only way of getting this pot is to show aggression on this flop, that is unless you make the standard FW geezer play and check/call all the way hoping yr pair holds up (spewing).

The turn card hurt you even more since villain will not be worried about quads at this point and could be confident in a made full house with the pocket pair, etc.