Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2007, 06:04 PM

Default Re: Folding trip Aces on turn to a reraise: Was this a good fold?

I would always check the flop here. As played I like the fold. If he would get crazy with a draw he would do it on the flop. You need 40% equity to make this neutral EV and you rarely have it.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:44 PM

Im new here but have lurked for a while, i also have alot of improvements to be made in my poker game however i was hoping OP could give me some insight into this play. Fair enough with the fold personally i wouldnt have folded it but why complete the blinds and waste chips if you were going to fold pretty nice hands in the first place what were you hoping to see with your a 3 offsuit? Someone please correct me if im wrong but i don't believe these cards should have been played in the first place if every intention was to fold regardless or so it seems.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Im new here but have lurked for a while, i also have alot of improvements to be made in my poker game however i was hoping OP could give me some insight into this play. Fair enough with the fold personally i wouldnt have folded it but why complete the blinds and waste chips if you were going to fold pretty nice hands in the first place what were you hoping to see with your a 3 offsuit? Someone please correct me if im wrong but i don't believe these cards should have been played in the first place if every intention was to fold regardless or so it seems.

[/ QUOTE ]

In a STT with the blinds still that small, I am going to complete the blind with any hand and hope to see a cheap flop. Obviously I didn't plan on flopping a set of Aces and folding- I have called all-ins with much less. It is not till after the flop and turn action that I felt I was beat.
You are suggesting if my hand is good enough, not the nuts, just good enough then I don't worry about what my opponent holds, just call?
Old 07-06-2007, 01:41 AM

^^ The problem is it's BvB and you limped in - he has no good reason to think you have an A and plenty of reason to interpret your bets as an attempt to bluff him off cheaply.

Do you think he would have checked behind with an A preflop? AK and AQ, no - A9 maybe. QQ and quite probably 99 raise preflop and nothing else beats you, so you have to give him a lot of credit to fold here.

You say you had a TAG read on him - but good TAGs could play it this way with a Q if you're screaming weakness.

If you'd bet stronger on the flop and again on the turn, I'd say good fold - but you didn't, so he could have anything.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:43 AM

Also, completing with any hand this early is not great - I open fold any SB I don't feel comfortable raising. In BvB the BB has a huge positional advantage ... as this hand demonstrates.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:36 AM

I fold this preflop. But, as you played it, i would check on the flop. As i think, you gain nothing with that kind of bet on the flop.
99 completes into full house on the turn, if the villain is tight agressive, then it is probably he would check on the big blind pf and call that bet on the flop.
But, i suspect he had something like Q9. I know i'd have a really really hard time putting that hand down...respect for the fold - it is dangerous, as you described it.

br, darks
Old 07-06-2007, 03:12 AM

A good player wouldn't go all in here with a good hand. He would probably make a smaller raise, one he expects to get called, to milk as much as possible.

The fact that he went all-in already means he likely doesn't know what he's doing.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:10 AM

yeah and a donk, who has just made his incredibly good hand, has pushed, because he doesn't know how to milk someone!
Old 07-06-2007, 07:13 AM

WHERE IS ALRETURNS!??!?!