Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2007, 04:18 AM

Default Re: Ask TheMetetron about living in or visiting Buenos Aires, Argentin

Gracias Gallina (sos de River, no?)! Voy a probar eses lugares pronto!
[ QUOTE ]
Olsen, scandinavian restaurant, is another good choice (two years since my last time there), and the place is really nice.

[/ QUOTE ]
Metetron and I have been there before. Fish dishes were all excellent.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Gracias Gallina (sos de River, no?)! Voy a probar eses lugares pronto!
[ QUOTE ]
Olsen, scandinavian restaurant, is another good choice (two years since my last time there), and the place is really nice.

[/ QUOTE ]
Metetron and I have been there before. Fish dishes were all excellent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow just thinking about that fish makes me want to go back. The best pure fish I've ever had (not decked out with creamy sauces in an attempt to make you think the fish is actually better than it is). Just somehow the most perfectly cooked fish you could've ever made. Makes me upset the rest of the fish in this city is usually very sub-par.

The fish dishes are the reason to go to Olsen. Going there without getting fish is criminal.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:52 PM

Metetron,

I'm going to BA for a wedding in Dec. 3 friends and I are thinking of getting a nice luxury apartment for a week there and was told it would be very cheap- like $500 total. Is this possibly correct?

Also, I'm thinking of going to Patagonia for a while- have you been? How long is enough time and what are the 'can't miss' spots? Is it worth doing if we only have 4 days or would a week be mandatory? Seems silly to go all the way down to Argentina and not make it there. Thanks.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to BA for a wedding in Dec. 3 friends and I are thinking of getting a nice luxury apartment for a week there and was told it would be very cheap- like $500 total. Is this possibly correct?

[/ QUOTE ]
Roughly yeah, maybe up to or a little more then U$d100 per night at the most. Keep in mind though that the "luxury" hotels that I've stayed in are probably considerably smaller here then what you may be accustomed. I've not stayed in a suite and I don't know how often they are offered.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I'm thinking of going to Patagonia for a while- have you been? How long is enough time and what are the 'can't miss' spots? Is it worth doing if we only have 4 days or would a week be mandatory? Seems silly to go all the way down to Argentina and not make it there. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've been there. Earlier in the thread you can see some of the pictures I've posted from there. First of all you have to realize that Patagonia is really huge. It's pretty tough to see most of it regardless of how much time you have. When I went there I met some friends of mine halfway through a two week backpacking trip. In the two weeks they only traveled down the western Argentine side from Bariloche till El Calafate. With them I was able to go to the Perito Moreno Glacier and other glaciers in the same park as well as going to Torres del Paine National Park in Chile. Both of them were unforgettable and I'd recommend you doing that. It depends if you are a nature lover and if you really like hiking but the major route to walk in Torres del Paine will take you 3 days or so and to enjoy the Perito Moreno glacier takes a day but you may want to take more time there to see other glaciers and cool stuff around there. I wasn't there but they also went hiking and saw Cerro Fitz Roy earlier in their trip. From their pictures and what I hear that is also something I wouldn't miss. This summer I plan on going a little on the east side and seeing whales and other wildlife on the Atlantic coast at Peninsula Valdes. I was also planning on going to Tierra del Fuego possibly as well. From what I understand those are pretty awesome places to see as well but I can't tell you how long it would take to see everything in those places. If you like I have a friend of mine who is a travel agent here in Buenos Aires. She can help you plan trips anywhere in the country.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
'm going to BA for a wedding in Dec. 3 friends and I are thinking of getting a nice luxury apartment for a week there and was told it would be very cheap- like $500 total. Is this possibly correct?

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry I misread and thought you wrote hotel. I need to get some better sleep. I've heard you can rent apartments for a week. Maybe Metetron can answer this better then I because I haven't looked for an apartment here in long time. I would suggest looking at some of the apartment websites that have been listed earlier in the thread.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Metetron,

[/ QUOTE ]
I just booked an apartment with bastay.com, they seemed fairly inexpensive and accomodating. Other sites I checked out were alojargentina.com and buenosaireshabitat.com. All have short term luxury rentals.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:07 PM

sweet thanks dude
Old 07-01-2007, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Gracias Gallina (sos de River, no?)!
[ QUOTE ]

Of course, you dont't get these anywhere else:

http://www.strengthandhonour.co.uk/i...RiverPlate.jpg

ED: Changed pic to link (wide pic).
Old 07-06-2007, 02:44 AM

I have a place for a month at Armenia and Paraguay in Palermo. Does anyone know this area or what is around me?
Old 07-06-2007, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a place for a month at Armenia and Paraguay in Palermo. Does anyone know this area or what is around me?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a pretty cool area, that's "pat lermo viejo" (old palermo), which used to be not so good 20 years ago, but started to get trendy in the mid 90's and now is very trendy. What you will found all around is bars and restaurants, and plenty of people during weekends.