Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2007, 10:21 PM

Default Re: Ask a music scene micro celebrity

[ QUOTE ]
Yes. We have another appearance of Urge Overkill in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh.

I saw UO live twice back in the nineties and both times I was completely shocked at how putrid they were. I mean, I'm no great shakes as a guitar player, but both times they were so out of whack that I was almost embarrassed for them. The first time was in the back of a bar in Iowa City so I thought maybe they just didnt give a damn, but then they sucked it up again for me at the Metro.

Guess it wasn't just a bad couple of nights, eh?
Old 07-05-2007, 10:56 PM

Hi Steve, I was invited to tag along to one of your poker nights a couple of months ago by a friend of mine (local musician), but I totally chickened out. I only play (very) casually and would be totally out of my league. My friend is extremely easy going, and thought it would be okay.

Should I accept the invitation next time?
Old 07-05-2007, 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Steve, I was invited to tag along to one of your poker nights a couple of months ago by a friend of mine (local musician), but I totally chickened out. I only play (very) casually and would be totally out of my league. My friend is extremely easy going, and thought it would be okay.

Should I accept the invitation next time?

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh absolutely.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:27 PM

I enjoy the music of the Didjits, and I understand you did some recording for them. Which records did you work on, and were they a band whose music (or company) you enjoyed?
Old 07-05-2007, 11:31 PM

Have you heard Andy Falkous' new band Future of the Left?

who in your opinion did you need to work with the least? like, bands that you pretty much just plugged in and were done right quick.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:35 PM

So I first off have to say that I couldn't stop laughing when you guys were opening for the stooges at the congress recently. I dont know when you guys decided to start [censored] with the audience, but they deserved it and kudos to you for finishing the set.

I too am a vinyl junkie, but things being as they are I was interested in finding out if you will ever mix a release differently for Mp3 given the [censored] [censored] nature of the ipod D to A converter.

BTW you should give the scoutmaster a listen, its a pretty amazing piece of equipment.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:41 PM

LOL at all the lurkers coming out.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:02 AM

Being into the Chicago music scene, I'm sure you have an opinion of Billy Corgan and the Pumpkins. What are your thoughts about the reunion, Billy's solo album (lol), or anything else about them? How have they impacted the music scene in Chicago?
Old 07-06-2007, 12:33 AM

those aren't lurkers, someone leaked the thread on metafilter. And metafilter... that cmyr guy there, totally different dude. Don't even know that guy. Even a little bit.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I enjoy the music of the Didjits, and I understand you did some recording for them. Which records did you work on, and were they a band whose music (or company) you enjoyed?

[/ QUOTE ]
The Didjits were a great band and good friends. My bands got to play with them several times and it was always a hoot. At one point, while I was still running Ruthless Records, I was going to put out the album that became Hey Judester, but luckily for everyone Corey Rusk from Touch and Go got to hear it and agreed to put it out. I worked on Full Nelson Riley, Little Miss Carriage and some other odds-and-ends. They got a well-deserved windfall when the punk band the Offspring covered "Kill Boy Powerhead" on an album that sold in the millions.

The Didjits reunited for the Touch and Go 25th anniversary, and it was like someone stopped the clock on them in the 80s and then started it again for the show. Immaculate.