Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2006, 06:52 PM

Default Re: The most annoying thing about TV poker, period

I took 2nd in a large MTT at the Trop and the last call that i made stil haunts me.. Granted i won a decent amount of money but i dont even care that it was half what i could have won. Im pissed i surpassed over 100 ppl and couldnt beat 1 more
Old 03-02-2006, 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't imagine how finishing 3rd for $2-million or more every year could somehow 'most definitely suck'.

Seriously, WTF??

[/ QUOTE ]

You say that now cause you dont have 2 million, but the point he was trying to make is that once you win 3rd a few times and you are set for life financially whats the point of winning another 2 mil. You would have more money than you will ever spend at that point so money is not really the point by then, its more about winning. Thats why it would suck.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:29 PM

In an interview in this month's Cardplayer , Todd Brunson said:

[ QUOTE ]
Ten years ago at the World Series, I was organizing a side game. Then the tournament director announced, “The $1,500 H.O.R.S.E. event is about to begin. With only 15 players, you could win a bracelet!” I knew then that I was the best H.O.R.S.E. player in the world, so I stopped for a moment. Then it hit me: “What do I care about a bracelet?”

We (high-limit cash-game players) would tease Phil Hellmuth, in the early days, for trying so hard to win every World Series event. While we were earning hundreds of thousands of dollars, he was paying to play for a silly bracelet. One day he won, and we thought, “So what!”

Well, maybe Phil Hellmuth was smarter than we thought, because no one imagined a bracelet would become such a big deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's pretty obvious he sees the value of the bracelet in terms of what it may add to his earning power.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:57 AM

I'd take a third-place every year and make my own goddamn bracelet. Even nicer than the winner's.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There are definitely a large number of pros who will take the money. Joe Cassidy and Phil Laak both said on the circuit that "no one cares about the bracelets except phil hellmuth"

[/ QUOTE ]

i was reading the new issue of cardplayer the other day with todd brunson on the cover. in the issue he said that maybe 10 or 15 years ago all the high stakes cash players would make fun of phil hellmuth for trying so hard to win bracelets. and one time he won a bracelet and told the people playing the big cash games at the horseshoe that day and everyone replied "who cares".

i guess these days with all the fame and opportunity to get a huge endorsement deal from pokerstars et al if you won the main event would be more worth it, but years ago nobody cared who won the titles. i don't play tournament poker but if i did it would be for the money. it seems like the people who win titles are just trying to advertise themselves as winners (ie liz lou) because now you need a title for most people to know you are a good player.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:06 AM

Wow. I'm rather surprised that money means so much to you guys. If you only care about the money in poker, then why the hell are you playing when there are harder things you could do that pay much more? That's really sick. I already knew poker players were degenerates, but I didn't think they were EVIL...

That said, I'd rather win it once. I'd like to know how many MTT's those of you who are saying otherwise have won.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What do pro baseball, hockey, and football players play for? THE TITLE!! Sure making money is what its about, but so isnt winning. If you win the ME your picture is up on the wall for everyone to look at and say "one day I am going to be there" Winning is what its all about, you play to win!

The WSOP is more for the bracelets though, WPT is more of a play for the money, not the title of WPT champion.

[/ QUOTE ]

why am i not surprised a newb said this, pro sport players already have the money they have nothing else to live for but to do something significant with their career like winning a big title. poker players arent well off for the majority so really the money is what they want regardless of how they hype up the bs that they are playing to win.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:04 PM

Microbob, did you not read my original post? Thanks Jorge for explaining my point. Make sense now?

Peace

Goodie
Old 03-03-2006, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What do pro baseball, hockey, and football players play for? THE TITLE!! Sure making money is what its about, but so isnt winning. If you win the ME your picture is up on the wall for everyone to look at and say "one day I am going to be there" Winning is what its all about, you play to win!

The WSOP is more for the bracelets though, WPT is more of a play for the money, not the title of WPT champion.

[/ QUOTE ]

why am i not surprised a newb said this, pro sport players already have the money they have nothing else to live for but to do something significant with their career like winning a big title. poker players arent well off for the majority so really the money is what they want regardless of how they hype up the bs that they are playing to win.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahaha newb or not how does that matter?. Not all pro sport players make the millions people think. Yeah, poker players are not well off, and many pros go broke. But seriously, if you were to win 2 million, and 2 million with a bracelet what would you choose? My guess would be the 2 million with the bracelet because it has more meaning that just money. As I said above, you play to win, bracelets just keep track of how many wins/money you make.
Old 03-04-2006, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But seriously, if you were to win 2 million, and 2 million with a bracelet what would you choose?

[/ QUOTE ]

How about 2 million OR 2 million plus a cheese sandwich? I want to meet the person that says, "I prefer the lesser prize!"