Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2007, 09:49 PM

Default deep stacked poker

i'm used to playing 100bb poker. but haven't had much experience playing with deeper stacks (ie 300bb).

how does strategy change when playing with 300bb stacks? are there any posts on 2p2 for playing deep?

i often get reach 3 buyins at a table. but if there are other players that also have 3 buyins i could potentially lose $1200 in any 1 hand (3x$400) which i'm not really willing to do. (if i was willing to lose $1000 in a hand I would be playing $600NL or $1kNL).

so usually i'll leave the table if i reach this amount. i would prefer to be able to play deep and double that $1200 into $2400 against weaker opponents with deep stacks.

are there any crucial changes 1 should make when playing this deep?
with a 100bb stack i can get stacked with AA, but with a 300bb stack i definitely won't (unless i improve my hand).

should i be playing a lot more implied odds hands against other deep stacks (like 54s etc.) that might usually fold?

thanks for any advice
Old 07-03-2007, 10:17 PM

Default Re: deep stacked poker

i would strongly suggest avoiding going deep if you're uncomfortable with losing a large amount. remember the doomswitch can come at anytime, especially against a mega donk. the most important thing here is to not let that affect your mental state, and ultimately your decision making. but generally i would say the deeper you play, the more room you have to make moves and let your skill reign.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:42 PM

It really should not be that hard assuming you are winning at 100bb poker. Just know that pocket pairs and suited connectors have some more value. Overpairs are worth much less and the rest is pretty much the same.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It really should not be that hard assuming you are winning at 100bb poker. Just know that pocket pairs and suited connectors have some more value. Overpairs are worth much less and the rest is pretty much the same.

[/ QUOTE ]
ok this is what i thought.
i just thought maybe there was an extra piece of golden advice that could really help me out.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:01 PM

One point which often gets missed is that you need to be wary of both the other deep stacks and the shorter stacks who are in a hand. It's fine to open up your range because of implied odds, but make sure you do so when a deeper stack is in the pot.

Couple of other things:
(1) IMHO, position becomes even more important when stacks are deep because you can control the pot size better and also can maneuver people off hands in critical situations. In much the same way that you don't want to stack off when you are that deep, your opponents probably feel similar (though may be a little more comfortable). By calling or three-betting in position with a wider range, you will probably be able to win some extra pots you wouldn't have won before.

(2) You should rethink bet sizing when stacks are deep - especially preflop. Generally, I increase bet sizes since otherwise I'm giving another deep stack implied odds as well. But you have to be careful here and consider any short stacks that have acted or are left to act.