Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2007, 04:28 PM

Default Re: Destructive gambler asks \"How do I quit poker?\"

I loved 'Bringing Down the House' -- what a great read (though, word of warning: it REALLY made me want to gamble). Hadn't heard of that other one, but I may check it out.

I see your point about your story maybe not being "big" enough for a book. But I don't know, maybe start with a magazine article or something. I think you could definitely find a place for a "small" addiction story that doesn't necessarily involve street-corner BJs and/or black-market organ sales.

Either way, it's a way to do something you're good at (writing) about something you're [pretty] good at (poker), while not losing a dime and possibly making a few dimes in freelance or nurturing a career.

Anyway, GL. Reading is actually a nice constructive time-killer, too -- I didn't think of that. And by the way, if ever anything was NOT worth the money, it's strippers. I would buy the rustproofing insurance for the extended warranty on a solar-powered flashlight before I'd spend $200 on a stripper (might as well just give the money directly to her coke dealer, then go have a wank* for free).

*British phrase used for your convenience.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:22 AM

do more cognitive behavioral. that stuff's the best.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:43 PM

He is not beating any compulsion. He lives the addicts lifestyle, He loves it. This man can't relate to anything other than being an addict. I refuse to have pity for this man, for that is what he wants. He does not want to quit, he wants everyone to feel sorry for him. He does not listen to other peoples advice, and simply claims it is too hard.

I can't have pity for you, all I have is contempt. Why don't you try and fix your problems instead of romantisicing them.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He is not beating any compulsion. He lives the addicts lifestyle, He loves it. This man can't relate to anything other than being an addict. I refuse to have pity for this man, for that is what he wants. He does not want to quit, he wants everyone to feel sorry for him. He does not listen to other peoples advice, and simply claims it is too hard.

I can't have pity for you, all I have is contempt. Why don't you try and fix your problems instead of romantisicing them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you read my last posts? I haven't gambled in two days short of a month now.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't let em get to ya luck stick with it I'm pulling for ya
Old 07-03-2007, 06:55 PM

Your skilled writing is a way of lying to yourself, Jimm. A book by you wouldn't quite seem honest enough to hook me, though it would fool many.

[ QUOTE ]
The solution for me isn't to sit in a drafty 12-step room hearing myself repeat "it works if you work it" as we all hold clammy hands; it isn't to become addicted to therapy, either.

[/ QUOTE ]
Spot the lie. The first step is to give in. You cannot control it, you cannot write it away.

I visited London this weekend intending to play live poker for the first time, at the Gutshot. I joined up, thought the £100 evening tournament looked tasty, then spent three days f****d out of my brain at a friend's house on pills and coke. We decided that the trick, the only trick, was getting away with it.

Here is what I want you to do. Properly go for it, Ed Hollis style. You work pays one buy-in a week. When you have won a million (and lost whatever, I don't care), your writing may have improved enough that I – and the New York Times – would believe you and buy your book.

Everyone is either a sucker or an addict. As far as I've seen, it's a one-way path. Get away with it as best you can.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good for you Jimm.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:20 AM

Jim is such a drama queen. He will be playing again soon he can't stay away. Play on Bodog Jim. 10/20, 5/10 nl is a good game. Cya there.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:29 AM

I just read this entire thread, which is an accomplishment in and of itself..

I can relate. There is nothing that gives me more satisfaction than playing poker (especially live poker) and winning.

I tell myself Id be more satisfied if I was with some hot chick, went out with friends, played tennis, but the fact is, I know what I love..And there is simply nothing better than poker.

That said, a successful and satisfying LIFESTYLE is about balance..Poker may give you the most "bang for your buck" in terms of short-term satisfaction, but BALANCE is the overriding component to a satisfying and successful lifestyle.

You may not love socializing or going to the gym as much as you love playing poker, but each activity has its own unique benefits.

Balance allows your life to stay even. You can live in the moment, knowing there are many other exciting things to come that dont involve getting Aces in second position. Your mood with not swing violently with the ups and downs of your bankroll, and as a result you will learn to treat poker as a disciplined art--a mere component of your balanced lifestyle that requires self-discipline and control. It will take longer to make a short-term windfall, but in the end, you'll come out way, way ahead.

Think of how you approach a food buffet. We all know the tastiest option is the ice-cream sundae, but if you only eat ice-cream sundaes every time you go to a dinner buffet, you will end up obese and dead at the age of 30.

Vegetables dont taste the best, but they are necessary to a balanced diet.

Nothing will ever be as satisfying or instantly gratifying as poker, but we must force ourselves into a life of balance that we know, in the end, will bring a greater satisfaction and overall peace to our lives.

Try to keep the boat steady. Think of your life as a delicate scale that cannot tip too far in one direction. If you find yourself getting too obsessed with your poker or too focused on a certain girl, make a calculated (and sometimes unsatisfying) decision to cut back on those tendancies, and balance out your life again.

It's easy to see what's tipping the scale, but a lot more difficult to get up and make a disciplined change.

Aim for balance and good things will happen..Be proud of yourself when you exhibit the ability to step away from poker and do something else that may not be as satisfying. Your game/results will also improve drastically when you DO allocate some select time to play. You will be supremely focused and fresh, knowing that the value of your entire life does not depend on this mere poker session.

hopefully this helps a little bit... It's tough, but make the effort and you will feel like you have a much greater handle on your life.

Divert your attention to a multiplicity of areas and you will also find that good things happen. Girls that you havent been obsessing over will come out of nowhere. Your bankroll will increase gradually, but substantially. You will be happy about yourself, the way you look, feel, and converse with others. Most of all, you'll still be able to do the thing you love as long as you dont allow it to dictate the value of your life.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:10 PM

after reading this i left my 1/2NL game and joined a 100NL one